dcsimg

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: VB6 and VB.Net on same machine?

VB6 and VB.Net on same machine?

[Originally posted by Ed Ardzinski]

Can I install VB.Net on a computer that has VB6 already installed, and keep the VB6 install?

I need to keep VB6 around to maintain some already in production apps, but also need to move forward with .Net....

Any ideas appreciated!

Re:VB6 and VB.Net on same machine?

[Originally posted by m.posseth@work]

i have VS6 Enterprise (sp5) and VS.NET Enterprise Architect together insrtalled on my development PC`s without anny problems :-) ( windows 2000 advanced server AMD XP 2000+ 512MB ) on this computer i also run SQL server 2000 Enterprise (test purposes)

for both programming IDE`s i have MSDN installed (old msdn of october 2001, and the most recent availlable )

you˙ need a hughe amount of disk space

it was for me reasson to ask my boss for a new development pc at that time
    ˙

i develop all my new web projects in VS.net (asp.net) i make some programs for internall use in VB.NET˙ ˙ however our commercial deploy programs are still written in VB6˙ (because MS can`t guarantee the correct functioning of .NET progs on win 9.X systems ) as some of our users still use win 95 we are waiting untill the most of our customers use win XP or newer (in the future ) before we shift to .NET (or its newer brother)

but as i said i have VS6 en VS.NET both installed and develop with both and it works fine over here˙ ˙

[Originally posted by Chris Carta]

I have had VB.NET with VB 6.0 on a 2000 machine for over a year.˙ In fact, Microsoft encouraged us to do so.

The thing you'll soon find out is that you don't want to program in VB 6.0 any more.
    Chirs

Re:Re:VB6 and VB.Net on same machine?

[Originally posted by Ed Ardzinski]

Thanks guys.˙ Got it installed.˙ A whole new world, I'd say.˙ I'm pretty happy that I've messed with VC++ a bit; seems .NET kind of merges the two languages.

[Originally posted by Chris Carta]

go for it.
    I still require VB 6.0 for my legacy apps.
    All works fine together.˙ Also, you may find some things in 6.0 are needed for VB.NET...I can only find the vb 6 chart ocx, there doesn't seem to be one for VB.NET so with it on my machine I can use the 6.0 version in .NET.
    C