Total Newbie To java

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Total Newbie To java

Total Newbie To java

hey,

Ok guys heres the story,

I have a project in java for college, I chose to design an MP3 player similar to jlgui or jplayer, but I have no expierence(spelling?) in java at all. That is the point of the course, to learn a new language from scratch.

I was wondering if anyone had a project i could look at to see it working, i have c programming expierence,vb(wont really call that programming ) but no java.

Can anyone help me?

all i want is to see a java mp3 player running from source and not from a jar file.

Thanx guys

D.
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Eolais a Coinéail

Hi, Angelus

The following link will take you to a download page where there is a Java mp3 player with source code. It's called JavaLayer... don't know if you've come across it yet. There are lots of classes that make it up, so there'll be a lot of reading However, there is also a history of the program.

http://www.javazoom.net/javalayer/sources.html

Hope it helps
    Joyous Monkey

Thanks for replying

I have tried that and others, but when i go to create the project it will give me many error, has anyone got a project that plays mp3(using source files) ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Eolais a Coinéail

Sorry, I can't help you with your MP3 player, but might I suggest you start off with something more simple? I've been programming in Java now for about a year (I started this time on my University course last year). I've not used it much except for a few little courseworks in Uni and over the Summer I worked for Sony on quite a large project. That helped me greatly and I've learnt a lot more but I still wouldn't know where to begin on an MP3 player.

What does the question actually ask of you? If I were you I'd go as simple as possible and concentrate more on the write up - assuming you have to do one. For my A-level project I wrote a more complicated project than needed which was superb, but ended up getting low grades because my write up wasn't up to standard due to spending more time on the programming.

Maybey ou should learn from MY mistake?
    Meethoss