I need beginners help

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: I need beginners help

Unhappy I need beginners help

I'm very very new to JAVA, reading through the tutorials it all seems very simple, but when i go to do it it seems very different.

I'm not sure what I'm asking for , just general help.

Don

I think Java is a bit overwhelming at first. It takes a lot of code just to print "Hello World" on a screen compared to other languages. But once you've got into the way Java deals with things, it all slowly makes sense.

However, I think you may have to be more specific when asking for help! What are you struggling with? Have you managed to get a program working yet? Are you interested in applets or stand-alone programs? Have you been to Sun's site?

Tom.

Thanks for the post.
    I have to agree it is hard work to print Hello World .
    I think the problem is I'm not sure where to start and when I try and start it is difficult to get a applete to work.

I think It's a case of try try again.

Don

If you haven't already done so, download Sun's API, it gives you a really good reference for all the classes. So, for example, you can look up all the things that you can paint from the Graphics class in paint. Its at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/ and if you click around there's a download link, there are also lots of links within it to Sun's tutorials which can be useful, (although obviously not a patch on javaboutiques ) even if just to see how they use bits of code.

I was really struggling to understand all the classes and methods envolved in creating an applet, especially when it comes to event handling. I was given a project to build a crossword applet for somebody and through doing that I learnt so much; using these forums, the Sun API and of course Google!

Just remember when you say that your class extends the applet class it means that you can use its methods; init() and paint() being the most useful at first. Set the first values for variables in init() then use paint to draw things on the screen depending on those variables. You probably know all this anyway, but I think you might be right - try try try and try again!

Okay, I better stop there as I'm going on a bit, hope you get on okay. Let us know!

Cheers,
    Tom.

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the email, a lot of that info i did not know.

I have had allot of success, well a lot in my terms.

I installed all the stuff this morning, had a play and all went horrible wrong

had another play and everything went right
    the Hello World worked, User Input worked, I even got really cocky and was doing If and else staements, nothing to great but a success for 1/2 hour work

Thanks for the help,

I will be on here tomorrow, having all sorts of trouble probabley

Don