Java ???

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Java ???

Angry Java ???

I have just completed a course in C programming and I am not sure where to turn to next. I am interested in developing web sites but also enjoy programming. Could anyone advise me if Java would be the best language to integrate the two. I know this may seem like a stupid question but I am getting advice from people trying to sell me courses and I would like some impartial advice. If so, would it be best to take a course or try to learn myself. Please help !!!

Hi, hennas. Welcome to the Java Boutique forum.

If you're familiar with C you should find learning Java almost like revision, as a lot of it was most definitely influenced by C. The main difference is that Java is an Object Oriented Language, and that Java is only partially compiled to byte code... for EXTREME portability.

Java has a vast amount of web functionality, database connectivity, sound, graphics... just about everything, really. You can use Java Server Pages, Servlets, Applets, etc for internet type programming. Though it should be borne in mind that Java is a FULL language with an enormous library of methods.

Java is free to download from Sun. There are are thousands of tutorial sites out there, though this one is particularly cool

There is a rich literary source for Java, if you prefer learning from books ( e.g. SAMS ) and there are many formal classes available from various education establishments.

Alternatively, I believe that the Visual Studio.NET from Microsoft may be worth looking at. But bear in mind it will cost some money to purchase a legal copy of it.

Learning any OOL will be of benefit, and Java is free to download & use, and should not prove difficult for a programmer of C... or C++.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Joyous Monkey

I am interested in developing web sites but also enjoy programming. Could anyone advise me if Java would be the best language to integrate the two.
    Java definately fits this bill. By "programming" I'm guessing you mean more meaty coding than simple webpage stuff. That's what helps keep Java fresh for me. When doing JSPs and Servlets starts getting tiresome, I can work on back-end processing heavy code.

And because Java is an Object Oriented language, it feels great to know your different types of coding can be reused very easily in new projects.

-- Steven