First time - need help

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: First time - need help

Question First time - need help

I have got reply for future employer and can you explain to me what he is trying to do? Technical test? Can you explain this? Thank you for advice.

"Hello -

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you.

The good news is -

there still is a position available and you are being considered,

the bad news is -

we haven't narrowed down who to begin talking with for the position.

I have a web site I'd like you to visit - http://demo.hiplinkwireless.com/
    You can login as guest and a password of given to you. The site allows one to send messages to pagers, cell phones, text/voice, etc. Try setting up your device and sending yourself a message!

What I want you to do is to review the site. Pay particular attention to the development style, tools, technology, etc. employed with that web site. That is software we are looking to resell and need a programmer on-site to help us tweak, manage, support, extend, etc. Imagine having to add buttons or remove buttons from the package, without having the source code. Imagine changing the skin design, renaming the product without having the source code... etc.

There are a couple of things we're going to be doing with that software: 1) reselling it, as is, 2) modifying it and reselling it under a different brand name, 3) building a web site around it centered on wireless communications for the mortgage industry.

That runs on both Unix and WIndows (2k, NT). Our site can be on either.

Please do not contact the host of the site (Semotus Solutions). If you have questions, bring them to my attention only. If you're interested in this project, and can see yourself accomplishing what I mentioned above, I will get you a copy of the product for your system to play around with.. DO NOT REQUEST A DEMO DOWNLOAD FROM THAT, OR A RELATED SITE.

Please take a couple days to review this and get back to me.

We can start this out as a part time position moving to a full time, or full time immediately .. so we're flexible and willing to work with the best candidate. Maybe two candidates.

Thank you.
    Joe"

He is Asking you if you can do All the Stuff that is on that site e.g Can you make a program to Send a SMS to a Cell Phone,Pager ......... or be able to Edit what they have to

Yeah. Basically if you think you're capable of adapting software then you should be ok. I wouldn't get anyone else to tell you how to do it. If you cheat your way in then when you get into the job and have to do something like that you will be stuck and make a fool of yourself. Anyway, this looks a bit dodgy. It looks like they are trying to rip off someone's software.
    Meethoss

I was thinking the same thing but didnt want to pop his bubble :-)

Question Thanks all for your reply

Sorry it took me longer to get in. Currently, I am desperate for job and coming from mainframe area I am trying to get thru beginner's barrier into this position. That position requires Visual Basic, Java, SQL, ASP. I have never worked in these areas but did self paced studies thru internet courses. I used to work with COBOL either in mainframe or UNIX (Linux). SQL is easy because they are basically same when I used to do DB2 and SPUFI dealing with tables. Can you outline me a code which would send the fax to myself. Just example of coding in either VB or Java using ASP. I will appreciate it. Thanks for help. I love my job but mainframe jobs are gone.

Question Thanks all for your reply

Sorry it took me longer to get in. Currently, I am desperate for job and coming from mainframe area I am trying to get thru beginner's barrier into this position. That position requires Visual Basic, Java, SQL, ASP. I have never worked in these areas but did self paced studies thru internet courses. I used to work with COBOL either in mainframe or UNIX (Linux). SQL is easy because they are basically same when I used to do DB2 and SPUFI dealing with tables. Can you outline me a code which would send the fax to myself. Just example of coding in either VB or Java using ASP. I will appreciate it. Thanks for help. I love my job but mainframe jobs are gone.

Can you outline me a code which would send the fax to myself
    Hmm...I'm a little confused. You want a program that sends faxes? I wouldn't know how to do that - never tried in any language.

Just example of coding in either VB or Java using ASP
    I think you're not understanding the differences between these programming languages. VB is just a visual/window version of Microsoft's QBasic (and a little more complicated), as I'm sure you are aware. Java is probably Visual Basic's biggest rival but is more flexible as it works across many systems. It's a little harder but more preferable to use. Java Server Pages were created to work like PHP, Perl etc. to run on a web server and process requests, along with Servlets (JSP's are basically just cvompiled into Servlets at run time) - these would only be used in the case where a browser is needed and not for application programming. ASP's, then, are a rip-off of JSP's but using Basic instead.

Hope that's cleared up a few things for you. As for the code, I'm afraid I'll probably be unable to help.
    Meethoss