Number to a String

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Number to a String

Question Number to a String

Hi, thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out...i need to change a "double" into a "String"...
    i tried to use the myString = myDouble.toString(), but it said that i couldn't dereference double...i need to turn the double into a String because i am placing the value into a setText() method...if i try to put the double in as an argument it says it is not allowed...i assume i need to put in a String argument, setText(String)...any info will be much appreciated....

also, i was curious if there is a "forward space" command just like the "back space" command...i know the back space is "\b" but i wanted to delete text from the front of a string using the forward space command...

Thank you all

A double is a primitive but the method you are using works only on an object. You'd either have to make the double as an object - Double myDouble = new Double(yourDouble) - first, or you can get the String straight from it by using the static method - myString = Double.toString(yourDouble).

Not sure about the forward space thing. I know you can use trim() to remove unwanted white space, if that's what you need or you could make a substring specificying the start and end, but just miss out the character you don't need. Otherwise, look at using StringBuffer as that has slightly more complicated functions.

Hope that helps.
    Meethoss

Wink Thanx

Thanks a lot Meethoss, ur advice helped me out 100%...i'm no longer stuck...i'm sure i'll have some more questions...c-ya

No problem! It's a pleasure to be of service
    Meethoss