Threads in Java

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Threads in Java

Question Threads in Java

If I created a subclass called testThread, put a counter in it that increments every 100 milliseconds,
    and add a public method to retrieve the counter value, would the following be correct?

class clockThread extends Thread {

int counter = 0;

public clockThread(int number) {

while(true) {

counter = number;
    try {
    Thread.sleep(100);
    }
    catch ( InterruptedException e) {}
    counter ++

}
    }
    }

How would I create an applet that has two instances of testThread and uses the paint method to
    display the counters in two threads? How would I adjust the priorities of the two threads?

Your help in understanding this will be appreciated.

your on the right track already. i would suggest you make a method that returns the value of the counter . this way it can me more accessible since you would want to paint the counter values in an applet. since your class extends Thread, you should have a run() method. i think you should restructure your class clockThread. don't place everything in the constructor. make other methods too.

after you have defined your class you just do, for example, clockThread ct = new clockThread(.....). of course you can make another instance of this class if you need more than 2. you can set thread priorities by calling the setPriority() method. so ct.setPriority( 1-10 ). (or is it 0-10?) anyway. all threads, i think, are at priority 5 as default. the lower the number the greater the priority.

do the painting in your applet class. i am assuming you know how to go about this.

Smile

Thanks for you help!