Why Should I Use Java ?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Why Should I Use Java ?

Question Why Should I Use Java ?

Im an old Clipper programmer developing commercial application. Clipper, DOS are old tools and I have to decide where to go from here. Java seemed to be a very good choice. I think Linux will explode in next 10 years and our systems must run anywhere. But one of my crucial doubt is about performance. I downloaded SunOne, NetBeans IDE (got 2 books) and got scared. They take 5 minutes to get ready in my PIII 550MHz with 256MBRam (WinXP)! My God, I thougth, all our customers will kill us if we give them an applicattion and they can go drink a coffe while it is going to get ready to work. Some questions Id like to know :
    Where can I download some (more complex than a simple text editor) stand-alone application developed in java to really "feel" they performance ?
    What do you, experts, can tell us about performance, compared to Delphi, that is the most common tool used to develop commercial applications Ive found around me ?
    Can we generate some kind of EXE (or something like this) where the performance is better ?
    Thank You !

Hi, Pontelo.
    Welcome to the Javaboutique Forum

Hmmm, why use Java ? It is a genuine Object Oriented Language, very secure, very highly portable, free to download and use, equipped with an enormous library of routines and Methods...

I'll be honest... I know next to nothing about Clipper, but a cursory glance suggests it is reminscent of (Visual)BASIC with a bit of C thrown in. It seems to be associated with dataBase programming... please excuse me if I'm wrong.

Java seems to be able to do just about anything. It's got plenty of ability viz a viz SQL and dataBase programming. Some mobile phones are Java-enabled for games.

Due to its portability there is definitely some degree of slowness, but this is becoming less of a problem as processors increase their MHz speed and more memory becomes standard. I have to admit that I've not tried programming on an XP platform... I still prefer Win98 and RedHat Linux. Either way, 5 minutes to prepare on a 550 MHz, 256 MB system seems way too long... on my 533 MHz, 256 MB system running Win98 the longest wait seems much less than 60 seconds.

As far as programming IDEs are concerned, there are quite a few out there. Try looking at Borland's JBuilder. The one I use is JCreator, and there is a free version of this available at

http://www.jcreator.com/

The IDE from Sun is Forte, which ( I believe ) is written in Java.

I'd definitely agree with you... it seems highly probable that Linux will increase its market share of OS usage, especially if the major distros ( RedHat, SuSE, Mandrake, etc...) collaborate a little to go for some kind of uniformity. And there are also quite a few Mac OS users out there.

As far as books are concerned, my favourites include the O'Reilly series for Java. The "Learning Java" comes with Java 1.4 and various other utilities.

The main competitors of Java seem to go through significantly major revisions... so drastic that in some cases a change of OS is necessary, or the language changes so drastically that it is almost like learning a whole new language each time. That does not mean that Java is not updated... it definitely is.

Hope this is of some help.
    Best Regards,

Joyous Monkey

I just wanted to add a few points to Monkey's argument.

SunOne, NetBeans IDE are quite greedy applications. The development I use at work is Together Control Centre (recently bought by Borland), which is a fantastic piece of software, but it does tend to need more RAM than a field of sheep.

I can also suggest JCreator - it's a really good IDE. Another good IDE is 'Eclipse', which is written in Java and IBM's own graphics libraries.

I don't know what domain you applications will fall into, but a point to bear in mind is that it is probably quite unlikely you'll produce such graphics-intensive application such as some of the Java IDEs. This is really where Java sucks. At work, I'm building a huge back-end Java system that boasts of its performance.

Delphi is very good. It's much quicker than Java, but isn't such a nice/safe language. (Generally, I would expect most commerical applications you've seen to be written in Visual Basic).

You can generate executables in Java in a variety of different ways. I suggest you search this forum for details about that as it is one topic that we've certainly beaten to death.

Hope this helps,

ArchAngel.
    ArchAngel.
    O:-)

Thank You boys for your attention.
    In truth im still designing a new database in this moment. I didnt write one line of code yet. But in parallel im analysing what do we have.
    I would like an environment (language,tools,etc..) where we can design systems that would be good for small to medium enterprises. Perhaps this means divide software in some pieces, any one of then practical to a branch of business. My customers today are stores (a variety of kind,little supermarkets,little distributors). My clipper system has 220,000 lines of code and main EXE has 5MB size. Its been developed along 5 years and growing as customers are requesting new features. Clipper runs very fast and when you are serving public your system must be agile ( it cannot stop to think). I downloaded Eclipse and have tried. Best than any other ive tried these days. But I didnt see any kind of application, except examples of trainning, so i think i cannot judge performance yeat.

hi,

most of the stuff has already been said by others so I will stick to my main pionts.

1) for java applications you can browse the archive on this website or else you can try the java subcategory on freshmeat (for linux). You will find that is wide array of application ranging from gnutella clients to IDE - all written in java.

2) Java will never be as fast as Delhi, VB or even C++ - the reason being that it was developed for altogether different reasons namely OOP, security and scalability.

3) Java maybe slow but it has its own strength- if you are designing GUI then you will find that creating objects on the fly can be quite fun. Becuase of its object oriented nature you wil find that programming is rather easy as almost everything has been done by someonel else in some form - you just have to know how to use it.

In the end, java has its strong points and its dark side. So you will better served if you make an informed decison based on your requirements.
    bye