Apache and Java Security

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Apache and Java Security

Apache and Java Security

I'm running an Apache server on RH8, I have a java applet on my server's home page. The applet accesses a text file. The permissions on all the files involved (classes and text file) are -rw-r--r- . When bring up the servers home page on the net, I get a "applet not inited" message. I was getting a permissions error on my java console as well.
    Does Apache need some sort of other permissions set on files, because I'm confused.
    Any help on this would be appreciated.

Jeremy Atkinson - new member.

Client Server

Saying "The applet accesses a text file" you want to say a file in the server, right?

Keep in mind that the applet is runnign on the client's we browser. You can not access a file on the server.

Sharbov.

Yes, the text file is in the server. OK, I am aware that an applet cannot write to file, but I'm pretty sure applets can just read files, as long as they are on the same server.
    Doesn't Java's security manager requires you to create a policy file first? Then include some code in your applet telling Java to check your policy file?
    Does this ring any bells? I think this policy file and applet code telling where the policy file is would help...but I'm not too sure about it.
    What do you think?