JBuilder: Is it worthy?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: JBuilder: Is it worthy?

JBuilder: Is it worthy?

Hi,
    I am looking for a new platform environment for building Java applications.
    I've been told that JBuilder is really efficient and powerful. But also expensive...

Does anyone think it's highly recommendable?

Thanks,
    Sebas.

There is a free 'Personal' edition:

http://www.borland.com/products/down...jbuilder.html#
    ArchAngel.
    O:-)

Thanks, but I couldn't download it.
    I've been trying to get a free demo, but I can't get any.

Sebas.

"I couldn't download it."

errr...why?
    ArchAngel.

Because when I click on the link to download it a "The page cannot be displayed" message appears.

Currently I'm working IBM VisualAge, but it seems that the product is not available for newer versions of JDK than 1.2.2.
    That would be a problem because I'd be losing the repository.
    Is there any solution for that?

> Because when I click on the link to download it a "The page cannot be displayed" message appears.

I think your setup is wrong somewhere - I get a form appearing in a new window asking me to register. Try downloading it from someone else's machine

> Currently I'm working IBM VisualAge, but it seems that the product is not available for newer versions of JDK than 1.2.2.

Sigh...brings back memories... IBM are now throwing their weight behind Eclipse rather than VAJ.

> That would be a problem because I'd be losing the repository.

What do you mean "lose the repository"? You can extract all of your own source files from VAJ.
    ArchAngel.

> Try downloading it from someone else's machine
    I tried downloading it from two different machines and couldn't. I guess i'll keep trying.

> IBM are now throwing their weight behind Eclipse rather than VAJ.
    I'm trying to find out if it's better to use JBuilder than Eclipse. That's part of why I started this conversation: to see what's the best choice.

> What do you mean "lose the repository"? You can extract all of your own source files from VAJ.
    You're right. What I meant is that the repository file is not compatible with any of the new products.

Thanks.

> I tried downloading it from two different machines and couldn't. I guess i'll keep trying.

Strange....

> I'm trying to find out if it's better to use JBuilder than Eclipse. That's part of why I started this conversation: to see what's the best choice.

Personally, I prefer JBuilder. That's not to say Eclipse isn't good - actually, it would probably provide simply upgrade from VAJ (it looks and behaves in a similar manner).

> You're right. What I meant is that the repository file is not compatible with any of the new products.

I've never been a fan of built-in repositories - use a separate version control system such as SourceJammer.
    ArchAngel.