I need help on a data aplet

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: I need help on a data aplet

I need help on a data aplet

I am looking for something that I can add to my message board. What I am looking for is an aplet that keeps track and lists what day had the most people at the board. VB uses it and it says something like:

Most users ever online was 42 on 07-02-2003 at 10:56 PM.

Can somebody tell me how to aquire something like this?

Unhappy

It's not really quite that simple. Do you have any programming experience (in Java)? Who is the producer of the forum (vbulletin, phpbb etc.)? How is the forum data stored? Do you have access to the database?

It's not quite as simple as downloading someone else's applet and it magically working with your setup.
    ArchAngel.
    O:-)

Sorry, No programming expierence in jave here The producer of the forum is Ezboard and I am guessing that I do not have access to the database.

I do have access to the html portion of it. I also have my own web server that I could upload any class codes to. I know it's possible due to other programs (Nedstat) that I use that just has me put script codes onto the board and it keeps track of how many times certain pages were viewed. So they link to it via java somehow and are able to compile data and store results.

It figures that the small things I want are usually the hardest to come by

Thumbs down

You're a bit screwed in that case! You'd have to do something called scraping - where you write a program to periodically download a web page and 'scrape' the various statistics you need....

It's not too difficult (if a little ugly) but if you're not a programmer, you've got problems...
    ArchAngel.

so basically you are saying that there is no way that anybody can create some code to be used in the same manner as this board has. I understand how things are around here... thanks for your help

I wont bother you any longer.

Unhappy

It can be done, but you'd need a programmer to do it.
    ArchAngel.

I wont bother you any longer.
    Oh please

You're using EZboards. There is no way you can access that kind of information when you have no access to any of the server-side code or the database.

I don't even think it's possible the way Archangel said. You would need to have something running server-side that would keep track of people coming and going.

If you're serious about running a messageboard, buy some webspace, download one of the open source message board softwares out there, get a book on PHP and go at it.

Otherwise please reserve your attitude for something you know even the slightest bit about.
    How much C could a C++ if a C+ could + C?