Java Script

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Java Script

Question Java Script

Daughters homework comes with java script will downloading java allow us to open the e-mail? or do I have to download java script? Thank You
    Ed

Java and Javascript are not the same thing.

If you have any modern browser (Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla, ...) you will already have Javascript.

Java is used to run applets on web pages.

--

So what's the problem? How are you trying to get your daughters homework? Is it sent via e-mail? Or do you have to go to a website? What's the address? What error messages are you getting?
    ArchAngel.
    O:-)

Well I always used Netscape but recently went with Internet Explorer when installing I deleted some things I didnt think I would need and Java was one of them,,my daughter goes to a site and gets her homework assignments from Kennesaw University,,I went to Java and downloaded their newest version of Java,,,but in snooping around I read where Java Applets and Java Script weren't the same and was wondering if I needed to go back and look for Java Script to download,,or does the script automatically come with Java downloads?
    Ed

Nah, it's built into Internet Explorer. You can check it's activitated:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level

Scroll down to near the end of the list.

Scripting
    Active Scripting

'Active Scripting' should be set to 'Enable'.
    ArchAngel.

Thanks for your help Arch,,by downloading the new version of Java must have helped for now when she tries to retrive her work it doesn't give us a java script error anymore,,the error message now is microsoft word 97 conversion filter,,,I didnt have excell and word so a friend a couple of years ago let me install their excell and word for they didnt use it anymore,,guess I need to go out and purchase a new version of word now..I checked as you mentioned and script was enabled,,,my daughter thinks since the school uses navigator and we use internet explorer there maybe a conflict but I dont think that would matter..
    Ed

> Thanks for your help Arch,,by downloading the new version of Java must have helped for now when she tries to retrive her work it doesn't give us a java script error anymore,,

Downloading the latest version of Java won't make a blind bit of difference to anything Javascript related - these things are not the same - they are completely different.

I don't know how it could have been effected. How do you know it was a Javascript error? What was the message?

> the error message now is microsoft word 97 conversion filter,,,I didnt have excell and word so a friend a couple of years ago let me install their excell and word for they didnt use it anymore,,guess I need to go out and purchase a new version of word now..

It shouldn't really be necessary to get the latest version - they're all basically backwards-compatible. What's the error message? What file (the *exact* name) are you trying to open using Word?

> I checked as you mentioned and script was enabled,,,

Good.

> my daughter thinks since the school uses navigator and we use internet explorer there maybe a conflict but I dont think that would matter..

It *shouldn't* make a difference (poor fools using navigator!). There are some differences, but it'd be impossible to say without seeing the site myself.
    ArchAngel.