Java Applet - FTP functionality

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Java Applet - FTP functionality

Question Java Applet - FTP functionality

Hi - I don't know Java at all but believe that its use may solve my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Currently I have a web application written in Classic ASP running on a W2K server. At a certain stage in this app I activate FTP to send a file from the remote web server to a server here at the office. To activate the FTP functioality I use Windows Scripting.

This application now has to ported to a Linux box and to this end I am using Sun ONE ASP. However this does not support Windows Scripting and I need to find a different way to activate the FTP functionality. Sun ONE ASP will support Java Applets and it may be possible to use Java to handle the FTP for me.

I am looking for a Java Applet which will allow me to pass it the userid/password and URL for the FTP connection and the data/file to FTP across.

If not the complete applet then some help in creating one would be a great help. I would of course need to learn Java to be able to do this.

JEG

It's not really an applet thing - I'd use a servlet. How do you want to invoke FTP? Custom libraries?
    ArchAngel.
    O:-)

Thanx for the reply ArchAngel.

I really don't know Java at all - so I need to take your advice. I need to call the 'thing' from ASP code running under Sun ONE ASP on Red Hat Linux - and do the FTPing of the data/file transparently to the web site user.

There are reasons for not using SMTP.

There are lots of open-source Java libraries for doing that. Just Google it.

Oh, and I think you're going to have to learn Java...:-D
    ArchAngel.
    O:-)