Total Java newbie - need help using it to rotate some .swf's if it's possible

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Total Java newbie - need help using it to rotate some .swf's if it's possible

Question Total Java newbie - need help using it to rotate some .swf's if it's possible

Good day everyone, first post of mine here. I'm not much of a coder; my function is graphic design and I'm finishing my studies right now. In a web design class and from what I've been told, I need Java to do something I want.

Basically the right side of the site I'm building (which will be a personal site) contains a Flash movie that I want to use as a "featurette". Basically just quick links to various items in the gallery, featured items. I want these movies to rotate though, since I'll be having different featured things in there. I understand I could use Java to script this rotation, which should only happen once the page is refreshed. Unfortunately I don't know how to code.

The one thing I was told is that my movies need to have the same name with a number at the end. So let's suppose my movies are named "right1.swf", "right2.swf", and "right3.swf". What do I need to do now? Will really appreciate help with this!

something like this:

http://javascript.internet.com/misce...slideshow.html

but with swf?
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

Similar, but not quite. I don't want the controls. What I want is every page within the website to contain that right side area with the rotating .swf's. These swf's in turn are simply self contained mini-galleries that offer quick jumps to various items if clicked or the opportunity to have a very small compressed version of a movie play should the viewer hit the play button. That's why I want it with swf's - I can get either images or very small movies in there; just don't want to be rotating them myself and hence why I need the script. I may settle for that if I can't find that solution though; I can definitely make use of that script.

have a look for a javascript timer, one that simply calls a function every X seconds...
    then call one of the forward swaps...

you can additionally look at some scripts that have "onclick" events, so that when one of your swf is clicked on, the browser navigates away...
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?