Listing a directory

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Listing a directory

Listing a directory

How could I display a list of a directory? I need something like the directory tree in windows file explorer. The only method I can think of is reading all the files on a drive and creating a JList with it. But I was hoping that there might be a class that already does this.

something like this pseudocode:

Code:
    public void populateTree(File root, JTreeNode toPopulate)

File[] dirEntries = f.listFiles();

for(int i = 0; i< dirEntries.length; i++){
      if(dirEntries[i].isDirectory())
        toPopulate.add(dirEntries[i]);
    }
    make a tree with just "c:\" in it

upon click, call that method and pass in a file pointing to the tree node, and the tree node itself, and youll get on-the-fly population of the tree

-

alternatively you can do ahead-of-fly population, and populate node with children before it is clicked on.
    note that expanding C:\ would hence require that you populate ALL of c:\ child nodes with THEIR children.. slow

explorer does on the fly popuatlion: it draws a + next to every folder and if it finds out the node has no children it removes it. good idea.
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

Unless I add files to the node, it displays a file icon with no + sign. How could I make it display the node as a folder without adding its inner contents to it?

I did try reading in the whole C-drive. As you said, it was very slow. In fact, I didn't even let it finish as it was taking too long.

subclass the tree and change the icon that it paints by default
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?