The Right Java Book?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: The Right Java Book?

The Right Java Book?

I am currently learning to program in java with a backgroung in C++, but my problem is, the teacher does not teach that well, or i can't really understand her. Either way, i'm finding the concepts difficult to understand. Furthermore, i hate just copying code and not understaning the meaning of every detail! it's so annoying. I find that many books overwhelm the reader with the details of language features, while ignoring the reason those features exist. So, does anybody know any good books that will teach java to the beginner in the way described? Thanks
    -Jam

Beginning Java by Ivor Horton, Wrox Press (cheap second hand on amazon)

avoid Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel, if you can.. eckel is a c programmer, and it shows. i dont think he is particularly good at thinking in java

but if you cant find anything else, it will do

just remember.. theres a temptation for procedural, or procedural rooted programmers to make everything static.. try not to use the static keyword at all for your first 2 years java.. i didnt (and i now understand and appreciate the sematics of it so much better)
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

But the main() method would have to be static for you to be able to execute it, right?

bah.. lol, this is true..

okay.. new rule!

"the only time you should use static is when you write public static void main ... "
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?