Packages

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Packages

Packages

what does the "com." part of a package statement mean. For example com.programs.wow;
    www.saterasoft.cjb.net

Come and play the games.....

as far as i understand it, packages work somewhat like folders do. For example, java.util.* import all class files in the package named util, which is contained in a package named java.

in other words, com is a folder name

package names are recommended to be the reverse of the url where they may be found...

for example if sun write a whizzbang component for java and they offer it for download at http://whizzbang.java.sun.com

then they SHOULD package it like:

package com.sun.java.whizzbang;

BUT there are no restrictions.. because after all, package merely states "this file will be found at the stated path"

so a file that has package com.sun.java.whizzbang should be found in the following path:

com\sun\java\whizzbang\<files>

AND, the "com" folder MUST be on your classpath.. so if your classpath is c:\myJavawork then the FULL path of the whizzbang suite must be:

c:\myJavawork\com\sun\java\whizzbang\<files>

otherwise, your "import com.sun.java.whizzbang.*" statement ina java source file, WONT work..

i really really need to write a classpath tutorial..
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

as i've seen people mention before, you're working your way towards a book with these tutorials. Will we get discounts?

Just a small add-on, the basing off URL is to help ensure unique names. It's very likely that a number of people/sources might create a class called say, StringUtility. A unique package name like com.reinkesm.utils.StringUtility keeps it seperate from a com.cjard.tutorial.StringUtility so if I wanted, I could reference both classes within my code.
    -- Steven

Originally posted by mikeBarr81
    Will we get discounts?
    lol..

bah, youth of today.. asking for discounts on a free thing
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?