Java Swing - Designer Tool needed!!

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Java Swing - Designer Tool needed!!

Java Swing - Designer Tool needed!!

Hi!

I'm looking for a tool to draw Swing forms with some key features.

- I want the tool to be as user friendly and stable as possible
    - I need to have some kind of MVC code generated. This means that the main Swing code is generated in a class, but stubs for events are created so that I can implement all GUI logic in a subclass.
    - I don't want to use non javax classes
    - I want to be able to use the design tool and have "custom" widgets of mine which will be subclasses of javax buttons, lists, etc.

One good tool I found is uicompiler. This ties tightly to QTDesigner from Trolltech. This designer is great and very easy to use. It generates a XML file that uicompiler turns into Java Swing code. The problem is that it uses a special layout manager that is not Java swing standard. And it's also difficult to have special widgets of mine (I would have to code in C++).
    One other neat tool I found is "Swing Designer" for Eclipse.... but it's much harder to create a good looking GUI... but this one does all I need. And it ties itself to eclipse.

So, is there another tool I'm missing ?

Thanks,

Joel

I use the JBuilder X
    it's a great tool to build ur Frames and i am sure that
    it has all that you need

I recommend NetBeans. It is free and it allows for modification of swing and awt as well as a whole host of options for just about every component and layout. It has some minor issues with code generation, but nothing that is not easily fixed.
    ~evlich

(netbeans/sunONE studio4 CE)++
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?