Using Java to run .exe file

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Using Java to run .exe file

Using Java to run .exe file

Hi everyone, newbie here. I don't have too much experience with Java, but can write simple programs. I was just wondering if someone could help me to figure out how to do this:

I want to be able to run a .exe file (that I can pass parameters to) from an intranet page. The .exe (lmutil.exe to be specific) is for displaying license file information for various software and can be run locally but I want to let users to be able to run it from an intranet site.

Now, I know there are security issues with this and that browers do not permit .exe's from running. I was wondering how to go about doing this.

I was thinking that I could write a java applet that would run the .exe file on the server and then output the information on a web page and display it to the user. Is it possible to write a java applet that would run an executable? Is this a reasonable approach to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

no, sorry. applets do not have permission to start program,s or access the local fileseystem. applets run on the client. they do not run on the server. i dont see the point of running a program on the server seeing as it is (surely) supposed to be running on the client. the mechnism you are trying to work out is far too clunky.. you;d be better off using java webstart
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?