Applet won't work on my server. HELP!

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Applet won't work on my server. HELP!

Applet won't work on my server. HELP!

I'm COMPLETELY new to this java stuff. I am trying my first applet which I downloaded from this website, I customized it to how I wanted it and then placed it within my webpage using Netscape Composer. I saved the page to my hard drive and then tested it out with Netscape and IE, and Real media browers. And the applet showed up in all 3 and worked fine.

I then uploaded all the files to my server, and tried to view the page from there. However the applet doesn't show up on any of my browers now. The little coffee cup appears then disappears replaced by an x and the message Applet DJscroller notinited shows up in the status bar of my browsers.

I have no clue why it's not working from my server side. But could anyone tell me what I should do about this?
    Here is my webpage http://www.geocities.com/tristanne/o...pehomepg5.html

I downloaded the applet from here http://javaboutique.internet.com/DJScroller/index.html

Please, please, please any help is GREATLY appreciated. And please explain in simple terms. So I will know what I should do.
    Thank You!

Well, I finally figured out that the applet I wanted to use doesn't work on my server because, apparently you must first pay for it, to receive a code or something. The page does state that it is free for non-commercial use, which is what I intended to use it for. But how am I supposed to do that? Is there a way for me to actually use it? I tried going by the webpage of the person who created the applet but it's no longer there. Should I just look for another applet to use or is there something I can do to get this one to work?

And why is it listed on the page that it's free, if it isn't??????

okay, so i go and have a look at the source for the page:

<applet code="DJScroller.class"
    archive="DJFiles.zip" width="185" height="226">

then i type in the url of the applet zip file (it should be a jar, see my signature for a tutorial) and download it from
    http://www.geocities.com/tristanne/o...ed/DJFiles.zip

so far so good.. then i pretend like im a browser, i open the zip, and look for a class called DJScroller.class

bummer.. it's not there

[X]

--

note: use of the applet tag is deprecated now (not recommended) - see my tut for more info
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

Hi, thanks for your reply. I do have the DJScroller.class file, it's on my server it's just not in that zip file. It didn't come that way, and I didn't know it was supposed to be in there. I went and put in in the zip file and uploaded it, but it's still not working.
    I just went ahead and found another applet that will work for me. It's not quote as good as the first one or as easy to modify, but at least it works.
    Thanks for trying to help!

Originally posted by Tristanne
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I do have the DJScroller.class file, it's on my server it's just not in that zip file.

Well that's going to help the browser succeed, isnt it?

It didn't come that way, and I didn't know it was supposed to be in there.
    You followed the instructions to the letter?

I went and put in in the zip file and uploaded it,
    So howcome it's not there then?

but it's still not working.
    because it's not there?

I just went ahead and found another applet that will work for me. It's not quote as good as the first one or as easy to modify, but at least it works.
    Sorry to hear that :/

Thanks for trying to help!
    no problem! thanks for listening!
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?