}

public void paint ( Graphics g )
    {

String output = "";

if (num1 > 30 || num1 < 0 )
    {
    g.drawString("The number does not meet specs!", 10, 10);
    }

for (int count = 0; count < num1; count++)
    {
    g.drawString("*", count, 10);
    output += "*";
    }

}

}

I need to write an applet that reads five numbers (each between 1 and 30). For each number read, I need todraw a line containing that number of adjacent asterisks. If it reads the number seven, it should print *******.

this is what i have now, but im not sure why the spacing of the astericks are so small, they are bunching up...

please help thanks

You are only increasing your count variable by 1 each time, which effectively draws each new asterick one pixel further to the right. Try passing count*10 to the function instead of just count.

Talking once again thanks

Hi thanks for the reply once again. I didn't know it would space like that and not auto space to a readable length. O well thanks for the help, I appreciate it once again

Re: once again thanks

Originally posted by firewire
    Hi thanks for the reply once again. I didn't know it would space like that and not auto space to a readable length. O well thanks for the help, I appreciate it once again
    erm.. a graphics context is a drawing area for anything, lines, shapes etc.. a character is a special shape, but a shape none the less.. it will be drawn with its top left corner at the point that you specify.. it will never intelligently autospace the characters, because it doesnt know what youre drawing is a character.. it's just a bunch of pixels (words dont mean very much to any computer)

for autospacing, as you call it.. you should make the entire string first, then paint it.. ive given you an example in the other forum.. ps; please dont crosspost
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

ALright thanks for the explanation. Sorry, but i just wasn't getting a reply, thanks.

it's frustrating, i know.. but these are quiet forums.. www.codeguru.com has more activity (and a guy called cjard regularly pwns the java forum there too. too much time on his hands, that dude)
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?