hello.au

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: hello.au

hello.au

Hello everyone. I'm really glad to have found this forum and am hoping for help with a Java problem.

I have a Javascript Chat Room (from freejavachat.com) as part of my website and want some sort of audio alert so that I know when someone comes in.

Here's what I was advised to do, and have done:- in the applet code I've put (param name="joinsound" value="hello.au") and a file called hello.au is in the same directory as the Chat Room page.

But no sound happens.

It may be significant that my site is on my iDisk, hosted by .Mac. Is there some Java-knowledgeable person there who has a .Mac account and can figure out what else I need to do?

With very many thanks for reading.
    Gilly
    G4 iMac OS X 10.3
    website created with Mozilla's Composer

if you like, you may7 send me the applet and i;ll put it on my webserver for testing purposes, to see if it is your .mac account (whatever that is!)
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

That's a kind offer. Thank you. How should I send it? I have copied the code into a rich text file - would that do?
    Gilly
    G4 iMac OS X 10.3

i need the html file you declare the applet in.. the applet class file, and the hello.au sound file. shove em in a zip and post them to this board would priobably be the easiest thing to do
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

Oh dear - I'm new to all this - thanks for your patience. HTML file - yes. Hello.au file - yes. But what's the applet class file?
    Gilly
    G4 iMac OS X 10.3

ps; was the weather any better in w yorks today? most of our better customers (you know, the kindthat dont ring us up pestering or breaking things) are there.. and the miles-away(from blackburn) customers are always messing around..(or buying our product.. how inconsiderate! still, northumbria was nice today, if a little far..)
    The 6th edict:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gillylal
    Oh dear - I'm new to all this - thanks for your patience. HTML file - yes. Hello.au file - yes. But what's the applet class file? [/QUOTE

hmm,okay....
    this could be the stumbling block..

the applet will either come packaged as a jar, or a class file... do you have either of thiose?
    The 6th edict:

Could it be that I don't have one because the code was generated for me by the site that hosts the chat room? I have asked them but hven't had a reply yet.
    The weather here's been dry but chilly today.
    Is it you who's been to my site and looked at 'Who We Are'?
    Gilly
    G4 iMac OS X 10.3

Ah - they say that the applet files are housed on their servers alone.
    Gilly
    G4 iMac OS X 10.3

... and distributing them is against copyright law.
    Gilly
    G4 iMac OS X 10.3

Originally posted by gillylal
    Could it be that I don't have one because the code was generated for me by the site that hosts the chat room? I have asked them but hven't had a reply yet.
    The weather here's been dry but chilly today.
    Is it you who's been to my site and looked at 'Who We Are'?
    oh, yea, well.. that's no problem.. i mean.. its easy to write a page yourself, but link in an applet provided by someone else.. BUT therein steps in a problem:

applets cannot, by default, contact any site other than the one they came from.. this stops me writing an applet that uploads your credit card details to someone, or participates in a distributed denial of service attack..

so basically, youve got an applet written by ACME Applets Inc, sitting on ACME's servers, and being downloaded from them..

It then CANNOT go and download a file from your server, due to security restrictions. plus, even if it could, the parameter supplied wouldnt work, because it is only a relative path.. it does not specify the host where the file should be downlaoded from.. so your page, with their applet, and your instruction to download hello.au.. will ultimately result in hello.au being requested from THEIR server, not yours :/

there's no easy way to win this one, and the effort you'd have to put into it, wouldnt be economic... plus, you'd quickly find the audio an interruption and seek to turn it off (trust an old-time chatroom boy!)

bah.. cant win with this weather.. it's been baking all day... yesterday was nice, but rainy.. today i cant think.
    i could ahve done without Bolton blowing up their TFT screen too, but it got me out the office for a good few hours.. (and aye.. i trawled round your site, seeing if i could find the aforementioned not-working applet. i probably got way-layed and then fell asleep after putting some music on the latop...)
    The 6th edict:

Originally posted by gillylal
    ... and distributing them is against copyright law.
    www.mirc.com

(not applets.. )
    The 6th edict: