Which java Technology?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Which java Technology?

Red face Which java Technology?

Hi everyone

I'm new to JAVA and My assignment is to create a WYSIWYG editor to create a web page that runs within a web browser/web page. It must be possible to open up additional 'windows' to insert grpahics to the page being created. My problem is that I'm not sure which Java technology to use to do this JSP or multiple applets.

The editor has to save it's content to a database - I'll probably use Mysql for that, so it looks like I'll be using JDBC too?

I suppose it's possible that I should use JSP, applets and JDBC. Is that the best option?

My tutor has said that the web page must also have 'additional features' running along side the editor - which she currently says to be a scrolling digital clock and a menu system to link to other pages.

Does anyone have an opinion on which would be best? any help would be appreciated .

thanks
    Lex

i'd ask her how much she is going to pay for this project.. the scope of writing a dynamically hosted , web-based version of dreamweaver, coupled with database storage technology and signing the java applet so it can actually do the job.. is far beyond the scope of an academic application and into the realms of a commercial app to be undertaken by a team of people..

its the sort of project i'd give to a university master's student.. and if you were a java masters student.. you probably wouldnt be asking what technologies would be necessary?
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

Hi - Thanks for answering

aah! - well it's definitely not a masters project!

I don't think the applets would need to be security signed as it the application would never run on anything except a local web server.

We've already done web pages that write to/read from databases and written (basic) offline WYSIWYG editors. I thought this was just an extension of that. Now I'm worried it's a lot more than that...?

why would it be so much more difficult - I guess only someone who underestimates the work would ask that but.. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Lex

applet security signing will ALWAYS be an issue, no matter where that applet runs. the fact than an applet runs at all, means that it is subject to security restrictions. ps; applets dont run on web servers, they are downloaded from web servers and run on web clients. this why they must be secured against potentially damaging acts

if you have already created an offline wysiwyg editor, please post it so i can look at it. it will give me a more accurate idea of your project requirements than the information posted so far (which has largely been shaped by my imagination)
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

Sure...

we used javascript rather than java to do this previously and this is a friends (as hers is much better than mine). The next step is to create a java version now we have experience, and of course add the image functionality which, I assured, is easier in Java than javascript.

Thanks
    Lex
    Attached Files Attached Files

holy smokes.. that's amazing.. i've never seen javascript abused to such fantastic effect in my life!

If you transfer the functionality into an applet, you should understand that it is going to take quite a bit of work.. javascript and java are fairly incompatible, and youre slightly restricted.. having a look at AppletContext API would be a good start; the context is how the applet gets access to its owning document.. you could periodically update an iframe, based on what you write intot he applet, but it will, ultimately, be a huge step from what you have here..
    The 6th edict:

ps; that was written by a girl???
    The 6th edict:

Cool glad you liked it - we're both good looking too!

Unfortunatly I don't know java yet so that's the first step - along with OO. I suppose the original question is still open to some extent. You've kinda said that an applet would be better - but would one applet be best (e.g., one that fills the whole browser, with multiple jobs to do - the scrolling clock etc) or a couple of smaller ones dotted about the web page (my prefered method). I'd like to be able to move the editor around the screen - I think I've seen applets that can actually moved in their own right rather than being pinned to a single location - but not seen the code do you know if this is possible? - I might have dreamt it

Ultimately of course it would be nice to be able to reduce the applet to an icon (just like a linux destop!). - I'm babbling here and trying to gold plate - I keep being told off for that - "do the assignement first Lex - then you can gold plate it! - you don't get extra credit with out fullfilling the assignment first!"... tutors do go off on such rants.

Anyway Thanks for the help you're posting it's appreciated
    Lex

Originally posted by Hyp3rion
    Cool glad you liked it - we're both good looking too!
    oh cmon now.. that cant possibly be true! everyone knows that the genes necessary for developing an interest in computers and being good looking are in the same place on the chromosome! mutex ahoy!

Unfortunatly I don't know java yet so that's the first step - along with OO.
    hmm, talk about biting off a sizable, nearly unchewable chunk..

still, if your tutor has given you this, chances are, they dont know java either, so you could write any old crock of * and so long as it works..

but then, that;s not what youre paying for education for

I suppose the original question is still open to some extent. You've kinda said that an applet would be better - but would one applet be best (e.g., one that fills the whole browser, with multiple jobs to do - the scrolling clock etc) or a couple of smaller ones dotted about the web page (my prefered method).
    Client side code is the only way youre going to get a scrolling clok (pointless as though it is)

I'd like to be able to move the editor around the screen -
    then, move the web browser

I think I've seen applets that can actually moved in their own right rather than being pinned to a single location
    By moving the web browser?

- but not seen the code do you know if this is possible? - I might have dreamt it
    manythings are possible, but with applets.. they're so restricted as to what they can do, that you'd go mad trying

Ultimately of course it would be nice to be able to reduce the applet to an icon (just like a linux destop!). -
    never forget that an applet is a small piuece of executable code that borrows screen real-estate from an established web browser in order to draw things. whatever you can do with the web browser hence affect sthe applet. if mozilla is capable of being iconified on the linux desktop, it will drag the applet with it..

I'm babbling here and trying to gold plate - I keep being told off for that - "do the assignement first Lex - then you can gold plate it! - you don't get extra credit with out fullfilling the assignment first!"... tutors do go off on such rants.
    i'm with your tutor; you cant eat your dinner off the gilted edges.. make the plate first. the most valuable lesson you can learn at univerisyt is: follow the spec, even if it a steaming heap. if you can demonstrate that you have followed the spec 100%, you get paid.. it's as simple as that

Anyway Thanks for the help you're posting it's appreciated
    Lex [/B]
    np.. by the way, are ou sure this has to be a applet? can you not use java web start?
    The 6th edict:

everyone knows that the genes necessary for developing an interest in computers and being good looking are in the same place on the chromosome! mutex ahoy!
    Indeed they are but they are not mutually exclusive - (so I have been told)!

you could write any old crock of * and so long as it works..
    thats something I don't have the genes to do! (but as usual will depend on how desperate I get!)

Client side code is the only way youre going to get a scrolling clok (pointless as though it is)
    okey dokey - client side it is

I'd like to be able to move the editor around the screen - then, move the web browser
    you know that noise on family fortunes when someone gets a wrong answer? - well when I read your answer I heard that.

I've seen an applet that runs on a web page and can be moved around inside the browser (over the top of ) text etc. It was a menu system. I'll try and track it down again and prove it!

manythings are possible, but with applets.. they're so restricted as to what they can do, that you'd go mad trying
    I like'd the encouragement you were giving early more.

mozilla is capable of being iconified on the linux desktop, it will drag the applet with it..
    yes, but I'm talking about minimizing within the applet within a web-browser - to keep it tidy like.

i'm with your tutor; you cant eat your dinner off the gilted edges.. make the plate first. the most valuable lesson you can learn at univerisyt is: follow the spec, even if it a steaming heap. if you can demonstrate that you have followed the spec 100%, you get paid.. it's as simple as that
    haven't made it to UNI I'm afraid - watch this space thou' -

np.. by the way, are ou sure this has to be a applet? can you not use java web start? [/B]
    No, whats web start? - is it free?, is it as cool as java appears to be. I shall look it up later when there are no evil dictators looking over my shoulder.

Thanks cjard, later
    Lex

Originally posted by Hyp3rion
    Indeed they are but they are not mutually exclusive - (so I have been told)!

carefull.. this might degenerate(?) into a mugshots thread.. and then we'll really be in trouble!

thats something I don't have the genes to do! (but as usual will depend on how desperate I get!)
    quality or bust huh? it's so refreshing to see that some students still believe in this.. maybe it's just the town i live in (but dont get me telling the stories )

okey dokey - client side it is
    though dont immdeiately assume that tha tmeans applet..

you know that noise on family fortunes when someone gets a wrong answer? - well when I read your answer I heard that.
    the spelling is "nit-ner"
    so much for the cheeky answer..

I've seen an applet that runs on a web page and can be moved around inside the browser (over the top of ) text etc. It was a menu system. I'll try and track it down again and prove it!
    if it has "Warning:applet window" text in the bottom left, then there#s no mystery, it's just a new JFrame.. easy to create

I like'd the encouragement you were giving early more.
    Well, if that bitty of javascript excellence is what youre capable of, then after you've read (well, chewed) a couple of books, i doubt that the technical aspects of the java is going to be too hard.. besides, thats what we are here for, right guys? *looks around*
    heh

yes, but I'm talking about minimizing within the applet within a web-browser - to keep it tidy like.
    tell ya what.. lets play bricklayer first, and plasterer later

haven't made it to UNI I'm afraid - watch this space thou' -
    holy shine.. youre doing that from high school? do you know what colour the sunshine is? lol

No, whats web start? - is it free?, is it as cool as java appears to be. I shall look it up later when there are no evil dictators looking over my shoulder.
    java web start allows you to write a full java application, and fetch it each time you start it, from a web server. so far this sounds like an applet, but.. because it's not an applet and a user actually has to agree amd manually download it (by doubleclicking an icon) then its deemed on the same security level as a normal downlaodable installable app.. hence it is not a retarded applet with strange security restrictions..
    but because it is downloaded every time/regularly (java apps are typically a few hundred kb at most) you can keep it up to date. i think too, that it only downloads if it has been updated, else it uses a cached copy. goodness++

Thanks cjard, later
    Lex
    w3rd up mang and all that.
    The 6th edict:

Hey!

Been away for a while but i'm not ignoring you! I'm still trying to work out OO and JAVA syntax. So.... I might not post for a while. Thanks for all your help and advice. I'll be scanning the boards whenever I can get a net connection.

Thanks
    Lex