Using ImageIcons in java applets

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Using ImageIcons in java applets

Using ImageIcons in java applets

Hi,

I'm new to this site because I'm having a problem changing one of my java swing applications to an applet so that I can put it on my website. The application is a little poker game I made, and it works great (even as an applet) except for when I run it using a web browser. No matter what I do, it seems that I cannot load the images into my program running it from internet explorer. The images are .jpgs and are in a folder one up from the .class location; I am loading the images using the ImageIcon class, and setting the icons onto buttons. The weird thing is that it all works when I run the applet in my compiler, so I don't know what's wrong. ANY help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much!

Babak Rashidi

No one has any answers?

youre attempting to read the images directly off disk, rather than usint getDocumentBase(), and hence youre running into a security exception, because applets arent allowed to access the local disk

http://forums.javaboutique.internet....&threadid=2490
    The 6th edict:
    "A thing of reference thing can hold either a null thing or a thing to any thing whose thing is assignment compatible with the thing of the thing" - ArchAngel, www.dictionary.com et al.
    JAR tutorial GridBag tutorial Inherited Shapes Inheritance? String.split(); FTP?

Thanks for your help!

Wow, you guys had quite the post about it before, thanks a lot! I've made the change, and my problem is better than it used to be (the program now doesn't stop running) except I still have ONE problem, that being that the images still don't show up. Anyway, it looks like it's a problem with where the images are stored or something (Although I know that's not it) but I can figure it out (and if I can't... I'll be back!) And btw cjar, your tutorial on jar files is awesome!!! I recommend anyone trying to put things on the internet to have a look!! I'm actually hoping that may solve my present problem. Thanks!

Babak

I had difficulty with using imageicons in an applet, so I nicked the following code from Sun:

protected static ImageIcon createImageIcon(String path, String description) {
    java.net.URL imgURL = SwingApplet5.class.getResource(path);
    if (imgURL != null) {
    return new ImageIcon(imgURL, description);
    } else {
    System.err.println("Couldn't find file: " + path);
    return null;
    }

Then in the method that uses the imageicon, I used:

ImageIcon copyIcon = createImageIcon("images/copy.gif", "Copy");

where the images folder is in the folder containing the applet.
    HTH