hi everyone,

i tried to find this answer also in this forum, and even though i'm pretty sure it must have been asked like a 1000 times i do apologize if i bore by asking again... i just couldn't find any real response to this.

basically, i just downloaded the 1.4.2 SDK and started some programming. i'm a programmer in other languages, so i'm just getting used to the synthax more than anything else.

now, the very simple applet (hellowordish kinda thing) did work in the IDE, however it did not run in Internet Explorer. i know i'm using the correct applet/html code since it was downloaded from a respectable tutorial site.

browsing around i found that to run applets from the SDK 1.4.2. i need to install the JVM v2 of microsoft, that otherwise won't work in IE.

questions:

1. is this true?
2. i need to develop a small applet which will run on the maximum number of computers without them installing anything. i see that, for instance, this applet does work on my PC which has version 1.1.4 from Microsoft Corp. according to Java Tester. what should i do? should i get earlier versions of java? is there another way?

i need to know this before i can actually get into real java programming, to see if this can actually fit my scope.

thank you all in advance, sincerely,

wc.