Hello, I have Java j2sdk1.4.1 as the default java mahine. (i.e. the java command work

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Hello, I have Java j2sdk1.4.1 as the default java mahine. (i.e. the java command work

Hello, I have Java j2sdk1.4.1 as the default java mahine. (i.e. the java command work

Hello, I have Java j2sdk1.4.1 as the default java mahine. (i.e. the java command works from any directory)
    but i have also j2sdk1.4.2_05.

my question is, when i open the bin directory of the j2sdk1.4.2_05 and type : javac myfile.java
    which compiler will work?

Re: Hello, I have Java j2sdk1.4.1 as the default java mahine. (i.e. the java command

Originally posted by tleis
    Hello, I have Java j2sdk1.4.1 as the default java mahine. (i.e. the java command works from any directory)
    but i have also j2sdk1.4.2_05.

my question is, when i open the bin directory of the j2sdk1.4.2_05 and type : javac myfile.java
    which compiler will work?
    In this case it will use the 1.4.2_05 compiler.
    The operating system (I'm asuming you use windows) checks the current dir first, to see if the app you define in your program is located there. If it finds it, it runs that one, if it doesn't find it in the current dir, it checks the dirs you specified in your System Path.
    which in your case would result in it using the version 1.4.1 of the compiler.

Thank you very much

I was told about a cool way to check which one is used, by typing java -version, and it turned out that you are right.