Text Messaging Service from website

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Text Messaging Service from website

Text Messaging Service from website

Hi there,

Im not sure if this can be achieved with java or not, or even if it can be achieved, but as part of a college project I am aiming to integrate a text messaging service into a website, whereby automatic SMS text messages are sent to a mobile phone once the user has entered their number on the website. So a database of mobile phone numbers are stored and these phone numbers are sent text messages from the website. This is an area all very new to me, but i know there are some commercial packages available that do the above but im looking to create my own system.

Any help/feedback greatly appreciated!! THANKS!!

It is possible to do this. there are however a few problems you will have to overcome first.

Sending an SMS to a mobile phone will require you to tell an Operator you want that message delivered to said phone. This is your biggest problem.
    These commercial packages all run through so-called intermediary parties. These have connections with various opperators around the glabe through which they deliver their SMS messages.
    If you do not want to use one of these intermediary parties, there's little you can do in this area, except maybe try and find some party that lets you send sms through email. This way, you can just send an email message from withiin your website (which is perfectly possible with the Java Mail Client) and viola.

thanks a lot, ill look into that, appreciate it

No prob, I work for one of those intermediary companies so was an easy one...

i presume these intermediary companies charge per text message sent fot their services?

Most of the time yes