Java Software?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Java Software?

Java Software?

Hello there, I have a question about my java software and which things I actually need for programming:
    I have installed a few different types of things:
    Java 2 Runtime Environment,SE v1.4.2_07 = 137mb
    Java 2 Runtime Environment,SE v1.4.2_03 = 136mb
    J2SE 2 Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 1 = 117mb
    Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.2_07 = 428mb
    The SDK is a very large file, but I can't even find it on my computer? Whats it for?
    Also, can anyone tell me how to get the JDK help documentation into JCreator because its not there in my one.
    Thanks for your help,
    Phil

You can get the JDK 5.0 Update 1 at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp Thats all you need, you do not need to install 1.4.2 or 1.3.1 or any of the older versions. However, note that if you develop a Java application under 5.0 (also called Tiger i think) it will not run on older virtual machines (such as 1.4.2) if you use new features such as enumerated types or for each loops, etc. You can either download the bundle that include Sun's free Netbeans IDE or you can just ket the JDK. There are other IDE's out there such as JBuilder, IDEA, and Eclipse(my personal favorite). Oh if you are building very simple one Java apps (like console apps for schol) then you could also simply use a text editor (such as Text Pad) and compile your source code through the DOS prompt. Hope this helps a little. I know all the acronyms and stuff can be confusing as **** at first (still is sometimes) but you'll get used to it.

One other thing, don't forget to set include the bin directory of your Java folder in your PATH directory:

Right click my computer -> properties ->advanced -> enviorment variables
    Under system variables select Path and click Edit. place a semicolon at the end of the text and then add the path to your bin directory. It will be something like this "bunch of other stuff";C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\bin
    Java has 99 problems but a pointer ain't one

Hey thanks man thats very helpful