Simple question, forms and javascript!!!!

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Simple question, forms and javascript!!!!

Exclamation Simple question, forms and javascript!!!!

okay, i have to create a simple search page for an estate eagents, i've created the basic outline of the page and have my input's done, now i need to know, how do i get the info that is input and use it to search thru arrays and find the relevant information.

What i'm gonna do is create maybe one array, or maybe several arrays with the different house information in it (the info for the house's is built into the array, and doesn't need to be input seperatley), i then want to take the search info entered by the user and use it to display all the relevant houses in a new page, possibly displaying one house at a time until there are no more relevant houses to display.

i know that using the "search" button i've created the page is getting the info, but i'm pretty stuck... must use javascript! any help would be greatly appreciated, if u have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

Please find attached the source code for my page and the logo (ignore the picture, i will change it, i just used it for size reference)!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nigel McFarlane is offline Former moderator, account closed
    If youreally want to do that from the client side, then you need to use window.open() and document.write() to create the HTML of the newpage, including data from the arrays.

Alternately, use window.open() to open an existing document, and then use DOM methods like appendChild() to insert the array data into it.

Normal the system you propose is soved by submitting the search criteria to a server side program and having it generate out the results. But go your own way if you must.
    Nigel McFarlane, Author: "Firefox Hacks", "Rapid Application Development with Mozilla"

thnx for the info, i'll see what i can do, the project is more about HCI than actual javascript and HTML, so the concern doesn't lay on server side and client side scripting, its about using HTML and java to create sumthing that incoporates HCI concepts, but before i can start adding that sort of stuff in, i want the basic functionality going.

anyway, thnx for the reply!