How do I reference an object passed through a method?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: How do I reference an object passed through a method?

How do I reference an object passed through a method?

This is hopefully a pretty simple one. I've got an abstract superclass (Account) that defines the generic behavior of a bank account. One of the methods (non abstract) is to transfer funds from one account to another. My set up so far is this:

Code:
    public void transfer(double transferAmount, Account transferToAccount) {

if(balance-transferAmount<0.00) {
    			System.out.println("Insufficient Funds - transfer denied");
    		}
    		else if (balance-transferAmount>=0.00) {
    			balance-=transferAmount;
    			transferToAccount.balance += transferAmount;
    			System.out.println("Transfer Complete");
    			transferToAccount.printBalance();

}
    	}
    The problem is that the balance variable (which should refer to the variable balance of the instance the money is being transferred from) is being initialized at 0.0d - which is the value I assigned to it in the superclass.

On top of that, the transferToAccount methods aren't working - they are all initialized at the value of the superclass variable as well. I don't know how to get to these instances. Does that make sense?

Thanks in advance

It is difficult to pinpoint the bug(s) without the code of the abstract class and the
    descendant(s). If the metod you've shown here is defined non-abstract in the
    abstract superclass, and is invoked using the abstract class, then you should define
    this method as abstract in the abstract superclass also.

But I cannot be sure without all the code in view...
    eschew obfuscation

D'oh - looks like I had a bit of a Homer moment. The problem was that my original transfer method was hard coded between 2 specific account objects, making the "app" useless for expansion. I was told to a) make the transfer behavior more generic, and b) make the method more expandable.

So I took your advice and made the transfer method abstract in the abstract superclass. Then in the two subclasses, I overrode that method with more spcific behavior, but changed the methods using the Account transerToAccount as a parameter.

It seems to work now - I'll double check it later when my head has cleared and the steam has stopped coming out of my ears