Creating a link list file and loading a lib

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Creating a link list file and loading a lib

Creating a link list file and loading a lib

Hi

Hope someone can help with this.
    How do you create a link list file in vb6 and then load a library in your project.

I'm actually trying to do as MS suggests in the following:

Integrating MSLU

MSLU integration has only one required step: simply include the new unicows.lib in the list of libraries to which you link. This LIB file contains the custom loader (discussed later) that MSLU uses in your project.
    OK, it's not quite that simple......

To take advantage of this scheme, you can use the following three-step plan:

1- Include the following in the link list:

/nod:kernel32.lib /nod:advapi32.lib /nod:user32.lib /nod:gdi32.lib
    /nod:shell32.lib /nod:comdlg32.lib /nod:version.lib /nod:mpr.lib etc..

2- Include unicows.lib.

3- Include all of the libraries that MSLU (and your application) might need:

kernel32.lib advapi32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib shell32.lib comdlg32.lib etc...

The "simple steps" mentioned are actually difficult when you don't know how to make a linklist file..All I found out is that it has a "cls" ext...

I hope I can get replies now on how to create a linklist file and load alibrary

Again if you can help out it would be appreciated.

any input will be appreciated.

Ram_son

Because we develop only in the NT environment I never used MSLU, but when I read about it was available only for DevStudio, and not VB. In the MS page for MSLU:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/h..._announce.mspx

you can find (besides much more information) many links to other resources, including internet forums, and to Ask Mr.Gui

Good luck,
    Marco

I'm checking the MS link now... Still and not just for the sake of MSLU,
    how do you include a dll in an application compiled in vb6 ?

Thanks
    Ram_son

If it is an ActiveX DLL, you do it through the "Project | References" menu item. For Win32 DLLs, you do not use the lib file. Instead, you must determine the function that you want to use and it's parameters, then use the "Declare" command to create a reference to it.

For some examples, play with the "API Viewer" under the "Add-ins" menu. This will show how some of the Win32 API functions can be defined in VB6.
    Bob Rouse
    Dimension Data

What the original article meant was to open the dll using LoadLibrary (or LoadLibraryEx), to map the library in the application memory space. It is usually done to load resources at run time from different libraries (for example, reading translation strings from different dll)
    Marco

MSLU is designed for use with C/C++ applications, not VB6. I suspect you're going to have a very difficult time getting MSLU to work from VB6, and that it may not be possible at all. If it can be done, it will involve a lot of API calling, and even then I see in the docs where you have to use C/C++ preprocessor Macros, which do not exist in VB6, to control the loading of MSLU.

I would send an e-mail to the link on the MSLU page, or post a message on the newsgroup: go to http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp, then choose platformsdk.mslayerforunicode from the left panel, and ask them directly whether it's possible to use MSLU from VB6.

-Andrew

Thanks for the help...but this is way above my competence in programming..Maybe MSLU is the wrong way to go..In the application I see all the fields in the table fine except for the one field where the language should be displayed from right to left , the letters are backwards.. VB6 is supposed to support BiDi as long as it is used on an OS that uses BiDi which I do have. The only thing I find that has to do with that is the property RTL but when I set that to true, it doesn't seem to have an effect.
    Is there anything else I'm supposed to do to "activate" this prop[erty.

Hmm... are your Regional Settings in Control Panel set up properly for your Country/language? That's the first thing I would check.

-Andrew

Yes I did have the regional settings right.. The problem was resolved in an unusual way.At one time time I tried to use Ms Forms 2.0 instead of the regular form and it has its own components -- at that time it didn't seem to work..Last night I was just checking some of my passed failed attempts before I deleted them .... and the ones using forms 2.0 were working fine...

That was one nice surprise...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Ram_son