Making C++ visual...

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Making C++ visual...

Making C++ visual...

I am in an introduction programming class, and have just finished writing a program. Anyhow, I'd like to be able to run the program outside of our linux server, and outside of DOS. Similar to clicking on a Microsoft Word shortcut and the program runs.

Is there a way to do this, and is it easy? Sorry for the beginner's ignorance...

You compile the program on whatever system, which makes a "binary" (.exe file in windows world). Then you can double click that and it runs. In windows, you can create a shortcut to it and put that in the start menu, on the desktop, or wherever. In dos or linux you make a batch file/ script which is a text file that runs the program, not hard to make, and put it wherever -- double click and it runs. Note that a binary does not work cross platform.. i.e. a dos exe does not work on linux. Some dos exe's work under windows and some don't.

I realize that it will run in DOS after I make it an exe file, but it would be nice to have some sort of gray screen with white text entry boxes, not just a black DOS screen. See what I'm getting at?

Oh. Thats not C++ really, gui's and graphics are not part of the language and fairly unportable. Which type of computing system did you actually want to run on?