What I want to do is the simplest possible connection using modems and phone lines. Windows XP has these connection wizards that seem to set up most of what I need. I want to try to connect to my local PC from a remote location through the telephone. So on the local PC, I go about creating a new connection (Windows XP) that accepts "incoming calls" and a given guest user that I will be when I call from the remote site. It seems to work somewhat (I hear the modem work when I call the phone number to which my local PC is connected to after I pick up the phone).
What puzzles me is:

1) When the phone rings at the local PC and I pick it up, is the local PC ready to negotiate with the remote one ? Is it enough to just pick up the phone and let the remote PC send it's modem commands to the local one ? I can hear the modems negotiating so I think it is working......

2) Since I am using "remote connection" from remote PC to the local PC telephone number like any internet access, I guess that is where I enter username and password. I used the windows connection wizard to create a simple new connection to a remote computer through the modem, and this also seems to be working...

3) what applications will pop up on the remote PC after I log in, and how do I know if it is logged in ? This is what I can't figure out. If the 2 PCs simply connected do I need some other application to get the local files from remote ?