ActiveX.exe quick question

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: ActiveX.exe quick question

Hybrid View

ActiveX.exe quick question

Just have a quick question about activex.exe. I can manipulate the program as an activex.exe but is it possible to send information back from the activex.exe to the main program? I dont see anyway possible but nobody else here at work knows either. Thanks for any information/help.

You should be able to set a property value in the ActiveX .exe which the client app can read.
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Hrm... I was thinking along these lines but wasnt sure if I could apply it. I'll give it a shot. Thanks Phil, I really appreciate the help.

Awesome, I was able to do what was needed through setting a property and call on it through a timer. Thanks a lot again for your help. Everyone on here is very helpful.

You can also do it with a public Event in the activex, so you do not need a timer in the hosting application.
    Marco
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown

Hi,

Another way is using a public sub that takes a Variant as parameter as a 'reciever'. A variant can, as you probably know, carry almost anything.

Then use a public function that returns a variant as a 'transmitter'.

This way you can pass almost anything to your ActiveX.exe as well as return almost anything simply by using this sub and function.

Then the step to make a DCOM of it (means the server works on another machine) isn't that hard...

Bernie

Hrm... I see what you guys are saying. I'll play around with this and see what works better for what I'm trying to do. I post any questions/problems I run into that I'm unable to fix but I'm usually pretty good at debugging. Thanks again.