Creating a control in code

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Creating a control in code

Creating a control in code

Hello, in a program I am making I need to create a control, more specifically the control shape, during runtime. The Dim statement, Dim Rectangle as Shape, will work, but when I try to do, Set Rectangle = new Shape, i get an error stating the variable isn't defined, and Shape is highlighted.
    I've tried searching google, and the boards here for the answer, but I cannot find the answer. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi,
    The easiest way is to put an invisible 'seed' of the Shape at the form and set it's visibilty to false. Then make an array of it by stating Index = 0. Now things become much more convenient.

1) Create a new project and place a button (Command1) in the corner of Form1.
    2) Put a shape (Shape1) somewhere and set it's visibilty to False as well as Index = 0
    3) Copy and paste the code below
    4) Run it, and click the button.

Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()

'Creates a new shape within the Shape1() array...
        Load Shape1(1)

'The new one inherits the seed's properties so adjust
       'them the way you want...
        With Shape1(1)
            .Top = 100
            .Left = 100
            '...and finally make it visible!
            .Visible = True
        End With

End Sub
    You got the picture? Just keep track of the Index and you may create any number of Shapes (or any other control as well) and manipulate each one's properties individually.

Bernie

Thanks a lot

It works perfect! Thanks a bunch

You can also do this, without creating a seed control at design time:
    Code:
    Set Rectangle = Controls.Add("VB.Shape", "Rectangle", Me)
    With Rectangle
        .Top = 100
        .Left = 100
        .Visible = True
    End With
    For more information, see http://www.johnsmiley.com/cis18.notf.../smiley007.htm
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Your'e welcome!

I wouldn't post a snippet that wasn't tested first. By the way, somewhere one the Visual Studio disks there is a sample showing how to create a control completely from scratch. I tried that one, but that was much more tricky. Using an invisible seed is more convenient since you already have every event and method there to code. Just the Index needs to be tracked. For some reason you can't use Ubound()/LBound() on control arrays. A 'parallell' integer array that is updated simultaniously is a good idea, especially if the app creates and/or deletes controls more or less randomly. Trying to Load an index already there will give Error 360.

By the way, if you want to remove one of the shapes, simply use Unload Shape1(IndexToRemove).

A few years ago I made an advanced planning table for an enterprise maintenance system. Workin orders where to be 'dragged and dropped' and movable/stretchable among time and resources and the underlaying DB updated accordingly. I used labels for that, since they have all mouse and click events.

It's my pleasure to be of any help!

Bernie