dcsimg

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: weird behavior...probably threading related

weird behavior...probably threading related

I wrote a control. It is a timer with 1 button (Start/Stop) and 3 readonly textboxes to show the

start time, stop time, running time. It also has a public method Start() which is also used in

the ClickEvent of the button to start the timer. While the timer is running, the textbox that

shows the running time is updated every second.

Here's the weird part. When Timer.Start() is called in another thread, the textboxes that should show the details are not updated on a certain interval. The reason why I put the call to Timer.Start() in another thread is that it's called by a remote host via sockets. The remote host sends its hostname which corresponds to a certain field in a set of MyTimer controls. The update is in the Tick event of a Timer control within my control. I tried putting messageBox routines and I did find out, they are not executed. The Tick event does not fire!!! The timer works fine when using the start button to start it. Is this due to the fact that the event occurs in the main thread?

Please enlighten me about this weird behaviour.

Be sure to invoke your Start method from the UI thread. To do so, use the Invoke method on your control from the other thread:

yourControl.Invoke(...);

HTH,
    Kent

PS. google for "windows forms threading invoke" for more info.

Hi Kent. Thanks so much for the reply. It works. You saved me a lot of time and energy.