ActiveX control without IE warnings

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: ActiveX control without IE warnings

ActiveX control without IE warnings

I'm sure this has probably been answered before, but I couldnt find it. I'm a "noob" with VB6, but I only need to do something seemingly simple. I just need a control to use in my web-based application.

I've created my control, it works, BUt not without IE popping up warnings about it. I have to turn off the security stuff in IE so it wont complain about the control being used in an unsafe way. All I need to do is pass a few things to it in a <param> (a session ID, and another ID for data access). It will then retreive the data from the site using the two ID's and then write a data file.

I have a certificate and have signed the control, so when it installs it comes up with my name and everything, but it still complains about it whenever the control is used.

Its driving me crazy and its the one thing stopping me from going forward with my application (IE, selling it and making money)..

Please somebody help!

Is your control set up as "safe for scripting". I believe there are a couple of ways to do this. One is through the Package and Deployment Wizard when creating the .cab installation file (which generates registry entries on the client when installed). The other is programmatically by implementing the IObjectSafety interface:

How To Implement IObjectSafety in Visual Basic Controls
    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

yeah, I checked off the two options when using the deployment wizard, didnt work.

I'm also having trouble getting the control to work at all under windows 2000, but it works in XP, which doesnt make sense.

I will try the IObjectSafety thing...

I just wanted to confirm that the directions in the link posted above worked perfectly...