New to Java ... Can it do this?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: New to Java ... Can it do this?

New to Java ... Can it do this?

Ok, I'll try to make this question as clear as I can.
    I am trying to set up a photo album type of page. Basically, I have several folders that have JPG files in them, I want to be able to display them on an Intranet, pictures will be added over time.
    I want to set up a single page, that has a frame around it, say like a tv, where the JPG is displayed within the frame, and a description of the picture is displayed under the frame... the description is to come from a text file in the same folder.
    Using next and back buttons, I want to be able to navigate through the pictures, and a drop box on the top to select the album.
    Can this be done?
    Thanks for any input.
    Aaron

Yes it can be done
    Here is an example on how to display the pictures
    ImageIcon image1 = createImageIcon("images/picture.jpg",
    "Cool pic!");
    label1 = new JLabel("Image and Text", image1, JLabel.CENTER);
    label3 = new JLabel(image1);

Do you want this to be done as a web application or as a Java program? The former would be the best way to go, in which case the Java that comes into play would be Java on the server side.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As it turns out, I found an app that did exactly what I was looking for.
    Basically, I wanted to set up a single Webpage that I could provide a list of pictures for, with a basic description of the picture, and have it move to the next picture without having to create another html page.
    I found a script that did just that, not the exact way I wanted to do, but it turns out, that this other script is actually a little better than I wanted.
    Basically, this one will flip through the defined list on a timed basis. It also displays the description above the picture file, and it also can include Stop, Play, Next and Previos butons, so you are able to stop and start the slide show. The extra bonus from this is that it's a script, not a compiled JS app. So you don't have to worry about some computers not running it.
    It's going onto an Intranet site, and some of the computers were having issues with some of the methods I was was using, and some of the apps I was trying.
    Thanks again for your help.