Hhow to make my program interactaable with Internet Explorer??

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Hhow to make my program interactaable with Internet Explorer??

Question Hhow to make my program interactaable with Internet Explorer??

Hi all, I'm new to here.

I'm doing my project now, which is some kind of website filter. I think I had manage the database part, but the difficulty that I'm facing now is I have no idea on how to make my program interactable with internet explorer.

I means, how to make my program able to interact with internet explorer? As an example, if I set http://www.abc.com in my database, then my program will filter out this website whenever someone try to access this site by using IE. NOw I don't know how to make my program interactable with IE...

Is anyone did the similiar thing before, or know where can I get the sample code for a website filter? If yes, please give me some clue. I really need it, THANKS !!!

What you're describing is a proxy server.

Proxy Server? Can you explain further more on how to use it in my program?

The problem I face now i I really don't know how to get my program link to internet explorer, also which part should I code this...please help...
    Last edited by Zephon; 05-25-2005 at 03:26 AM.

You have nothing to write. You put a filtering proxy server between the Internet and your users and you're done. The one we use is Squid but there are many.

Hi ray326,

Sorry I'm a noob in this field. How to put the proxy server you mentioned in my program then? And, is that any example on what'd u described?

using eclipse SWT?

I think you cant "include" a proxy server inside your application (it's not a software library or class library) ...proxies like squid
    are running system-wide mostly a whole network, that means, if you filter out a site you will not be able to access it at all with no difference using netscape, IE,
    windows, linux, ..., and this for a l l computers "behind" the proxy.
    If this is what you are looking for you could program an frontend to the proxy, changing the configuration files according to your database data, and then restart the proxy server (necessary to make changes in config effective)
    But probably this is not what you are looking for .. If you want to write a simple solution for home-pcs, for example to prevent children using internet from "dangerous" content, then you could run an os installation that forbids using all
    installed browsers directly (and forbids new installations) if user is not administrator, and then you would have to embed IE inside your application..
    the only way I know under windows to make it is using COM (OLE, ActiveX).
    I'm in programming Java with the open source Eclipse IDE since a couple of months and from this, I know that there is a so-called SWT package, implementing a Browser class, to use it you dont need the whole eclipse environment, it's just one jar and a dll.
    Take a first look at http://www.developer.com/java/other/...0936_3330861_2
    If you need some more help with this, dont hesitate to ask .. I've got alot of free time at the moment