Databases and Text Files

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Databases and Text Files

Databases and Text Files

I have an asp web page that allows a user to request information from an Access Database, the results of this request are then displayed on a second asp web page and finally the user can then select to view the individual results of the request on a third asp page.

For instance, a user can select all the registered names beginning with the letter 'A', the result of this request will be shown on page2.asp, the user can then select one of the names and the results of that request will be shown on page3.asp.

What I want to happen now is that on page3.asp I need to display some text, the amount of text is too long to put it directly in the Access Database, it needs to be in a separate file like a txt file or something. I need to know how to set up the field on the Access Database to call the text file and the asp code I need to use on page3.asp.

Any suggestions?

If I were you I'd just put it in a Memo field in Access. That covers any Stephen King novel, so should be enough for you too.

Rune
    If you hit a brick wall, you didn't jump high enough!

You can also store just the path and file name of the text file in the database, then use the FileSystemObject to read the text file and display its contents on your page: http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtec...ect/faq1.shtml
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Thumbs up Databases and Text Files

Thanks Guys, I think I prefer Phil's option as I will have about 100 of the details files and I don't want to slow down the database.