Which is more faster ASP.Net Server Controls or classic ASP HTML controls

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Which is more faster ASP.Net Server Controls or classic ASP HTML controls

Which is more faster ASP.Net Server Controls or classic ASP HTML controls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi frnds,

I am a newbie in ASP.Net..

I just want to know the reason Why it is said thath ASP.Net server controls are more faster than HTML server controls?

Let me make you clear abt my doubt with a simple example. Say we need to change the caption(text) of a button or change the text in a textbox in runtime in an ASP.Net page.

In classic ASP we can achieve this with very simple and fastest javascript statements.

But in the case of ASP.Net controls, since all of them hav that "runat=server" tag,the code execution happens in the server side. So almost all the ASP.Net server controls by default initiates a server round trip(postback).

ASP.net controls always needs a postback to do its intended function. The same can be achieved thru clientside script?..cant we avoid this unnecessary roundtip?..

Postbacks or Server Roundtrips always have a bad effect on a site rt??...Its actually a last choice to be done

What i felt is that..the ASP.Net helps speedup the coding process for the programmer, as it is eazy to code the server events than in classic ASP. But rest everywhere i felt, classic ASP (HTML) controls are faster. I dont kno whtr i m correct or not. But what i felt is ASP.Net server controls always initiates a server roundtrip which is not the case with HTML controls..

But then how come it is said that ASP.NEt server controls are much faster than classic ASP HTMl controls?... what ever features it says(like caching or just in time compilation..etc etc..).. will those be fast as equalent to a client side script??

I am actually going to start a new project of porting a classic ASP project to ASP.Net. But im in a confusion of which control to be used..

Please let me have 3 or more views abt this basic qstn..

Thanks in advance

Sunil

Why it is said that ASP.Net server controls are more faster than HTML server controls?
    Who says that? :-) I agree with you that ASP.NET server controls save time for the developer, but I would not say that they execute faster than standard HTML controls, certainly not if you're comparing server-side code to client-side JavaScript.

The important question is not, Which is faster? but rather, Which time is more valuable? If you can develop a slightly slower but much more maintainable site using ASP.NET in half the time it would take you to develop an equivalent site in Classic ASP and JavaScript, which approach should you take? Is it worth weeks or months of programmer time to save the user a few seconds?
    Phil Weber
    http://www.philweber.com

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!

Well one advantage of .net is when needing validation, you can use validation controls. They are drag and drop and automatically create client side and server side validation for you. You only set properties in design mode to set parameters for your validation. That is much easier and faster than javascript. Validation is the most common client side code needed. Just my two cents worth. Bronco