VB.NET upgrade question

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: VB.NET upgrade question

VB.NET upgrade question

I develop stand-alone engineering software using VB.NET. I currently own an older version of Visual Studio.NET, but don't use any of the other languages. I learned recently that there are newer versions of VB available and would like to stay up-to-date. The About screen on my current version shows:

Microsoft Development Environment 2002 Version 7.0.9466
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Version 1.0.3705

I understand that there is now a 2003 version of Visual Studio and VB, and apparently a 2005 version due out soon (out in beta now?). I've also discovered that there is something called Visual Basic Express.

It looks like I can just upgrade to VB.NET 2003 for $109, but I wondered if that is the route I should be taking. Looking at all the different options available is a bit confusing.

Portland, OR
    You're going to want Visual Basic 2005 once its released; it has numerous enhancements over Visual Studio 2002. If you don't need the latest version immediately, I would wait until 2005 is released, then purchase Visual Basic Express (it's a "light" version of VB 2005 that will cost something like $20) and see if it meets your needs. If so, great! If not, upgrade to VS 2005.

You can download VB Express and/or VS 2005 beta today, but I do not recommend installing them on a production machine. If you don't have a test system available (meaning a system on which you can reinstall Windows if necessary; beta uninstallers do not always work well), it's best to forego the beta and wait until the 2005 version is released.
    Phil Weber

Please post questions to the forums, where others may benefit.
    I do not offer free assistance by e-mail. Thank you!