object streaming from office to home or visa-versa

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: object streaming from office to home or visa-versa

object streaming from office to home or visa-versa

hi,

i'm wondering whether i can stream my object from my pc in the company to my home's desktop PC or
    vise a versa with socket programming? Is it possible to get over the firewall or proxy server in the company?

the company which i work for it is not mine. so any other technology like virtual networks is not in consideration of me. i'd like to reach my computer as TCP connection as Messenger,ICQ, or E-Mule can do which works fine in my computer in the company. how do they get over the firewall?

in messenger settings i saw that TCP connection is fine and the port number seems as 1080. so technically how can i connect to my pc? Can ;

myDefinedPort=3001;
    externalIP= InetAddress.getByName("212.133.129.11");
    internalIP= InetAddress.getByName("10.10.*.*");
    Socket deneme = new Socket(externalIP,1080,internalIP,3001);

work? or how can i create a TCP connection?
    thanx for the answer but please be brief about socket programming.

Though I've never dont it before, I have looked a little bit at RMI (Remote Method Invocation) for java. It allows you to have two programs running and call remote procedures, you could probably do something like what you are thinking if you made some type of getObject() method and allowed it to be called remotely with RMI. RMI uses serialization and such, and is a little slower than sockets but it is probably easier to use since it will manage most of the internal connection stuff for you.

I hope this helps.
    ~evlich

i think i couldn't mean the idea exactly. my problem is connecting to a remote computer.

the computer which i want to access from my home is the computer of mine in the company. and i want to do this with socket programming.i will execute a java program listening the port 5101 for example.

my intranet IP is 10.10.20.84
    but i know that is an unreachable IP from outside.

so how can i create the socket?

Socket clientSocket=new Socket("***.***.***.***",5101);

I'm not an expert with TCPIP but I'm pretty sure that you get an internal address and then your router will somehow figure out which computer on the intranet to forward the packet to. You're saying that your port is unreachable from the outside, so it doesn't seem like it would be possible unless that computer starts the connection. See if it is possible to do it in reverse order, i.e. see if you can have your work computer stream an object to your home computer. Once the connection is opened, it shouldn't be too much of a problem to send data back the other way.
    ~evlich

no, i think at work it is easy to find a port number to serve for a socket connection. my point is which IP address i will use to connect. i said that my internal IP at work is 10.10.20.84. But if i visit ;

http://www.ilanonurajans.com/ip_ogren.asp

the IP is something different from it.

so what i understand from your explanation is "use this IP to connect" from home like ;

Socket abc=new Socket("10.10.20.84", 5500);

and so the router will find your computer. isn't that?