Tomcat configuration

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Tomcat configuration

Angry Tomcat configuration

Hi There,

Tomcat 4.1 - Why can't Tomcat 'see' my class files(without package structure) under installed_dir\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes folder? I believe 'startup.bat' script includes this directory while setting the classpath for Tomcat.

I switched to Tomcat 5.5 and the same problem persists. Am I missing any thing in the classpath?

Thank you all.

Thank you.

are you saying the classes are in the default package or that you stuck all the .class files in the that directory or ?

Wink Tomcat's classpath settings?

Hi,

I really thank you for replying. I am a newbie to Tomcat(Servlet & JSP as well!).
    ***Tomcat 4.1***
    From browser, I could access simple html and jsp files when these files reside in 'install_dir\webapps\ROOT' folder.

If I put HelloServlet.class(packageless) in 'install_dir\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes' folder, I cannot see it if typing http://localhost/servlet/HelloServlet at browser(using port 80). I got HTTP 404 error. Likewise, if I put HelloServlet2.class(using 'moreservlets' package) in 'install_dir\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\moreservlets' folder, I cannot see it either.

I will appreciate any help or pointers from you all. I have already been at this stopping point for almost a week (well, just study after work!)

There are two ways for servlet classes to be loaded. You either have to configure the server to load them with a defined web mapping (e.g. /HelloServlet) or you have to have an "invoker" servlet configured that loads the servlets by classname. I don't know if Tomcat loads the invoker by default. I use WebSphere and I know it doesn't because it's a security risk.

Hmmm.

What do you get when you go to http://localhost ?

Did you look in the logs?