Advertisments embeeded in the threads list?

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Advertisments embeeded in the threads list?

Advertisments embeeded in the threads list?

This is a white paper from http://www.quest.com, that appears at the top of the page. What is it doing there?

Doesn't it break two of the Jupitermedia AUP Agreement (it is an advertisment and does not have anything to do with some of the forums, like VB Classic) found in

http://www.jupitermedia.com/corporate/privacy/aup.html

You will not post advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations, all of which are inappropriate and prohibited in the Forums. You will not, furthermore, collect personal information about forum members for the purpose of sending them any such advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or solicitations through other means (email, messaging programs, etc.).

You will not post messages that are clearly outside of the stated topic of any Forums nor disrupt a forum by deliberately posting repeated irrelevant messages or copies of identical messages (also known as "flooding").
    If that is ok, please explains and it will be ok for me. Just let me know.
    Marco

Marco,

You are right that the post is advertising. However, in this case, this is not someone who has merely logged on and posted something of their own volition. It is a paid advertisement placed by Jupitermedia. Jupitermedia is doing a limited test of this type of ad post. I do not anticipate this happening frequently, as we understand that for many users this is an unwanted distraction.

Please note that the user name "advertiser" is used; this allows you to identify posts of this type. Also, the text is written to make it obvious that it is advertising.

You are correct that it was showing up in forums where it did not make sense. We complained about that and it's been corrected.

The editorial staff is never pleased when new advertising is introduced, but be assured that we working to make sure that such additions, when made, do not interfere unduly with you ability to use these forums effectively.

Thanks,
    Lori

Hi Lori,
    thanks for your explanation, that's enough for me to know that that was legittimate.
    Again, I really appreciate the effort that you guys put in these forums.
    Best regards,
    Marco
    "There are two ways to write error-free programs. Only the third one works."
    Unknown