GUI programming [was:Topcoder: Very difficult question]

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: GUI programming [was:Topcoder: Very difficult question]

GUI programming [was:Topcoder: Very difficult question]

:) Hi all of my friends!
    Today i have a difficult question, it's about build user interface in C/C++ VC++. Normal when i build my application by VB or VC i have dependeced in the component that the Microsoft supply, for example in VB, VC it is difficult to use non English languages ( VietNamese, Chinese, Russian...) in Menu, Tool Bar. Other words, in commerce application, we know that their user interface is very beautiful, their menus have picture, and many especial control they run like the hyperlink...
    I send for you an example about user interface was built in VC++, it is anti virus application, here is link, it will die in 7 days.
    {link removed by moderator}
    So i want to ask you how can we build user interface of that application.
    Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Danny; 07-24-2005 at 05:24 PM.

Note: I have removed the link from your post for security reasons. If you want to show us an example, you can include a .jpg image in yoru post. It's more convenient and secure.
    Danny Kalev

User interface

Ofcourse you can say that why don't use the third party controls. But i am a student, i want to research about computerscience, programming system, so we should build from scratch.
    Thank you, good luck to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you mean building the GUI from scratch? That's nearly impossible. GUI apps use a certain framework such as MFC, Qt etc. that defines APIs and events that work like an engine underneath your app. You can write a non-GUI menu that uses text-based graphics.

BTW, I'm just curious: which language is this? Vietnamese?
    Danny Kalev

Thank to Danny Kalev!
    Ofcourse we have to depend in the framework and operating system that we work. I said built form scratch, that is not mean " ...rebuild every thing, OS.....". But here, i want to ask about experience in build the UI for application. All pictures that i posted, those are UI of application that was built in MFC, Win32API frame work. So i want to know the idea to build them. For example, i think the control that runs like a hyperlink was build from a XML file, and then they used VC++ to parse this XML fille...
    I don't know the Qt framework, what is it?
    Yes, this is VietNamese.
    Danny Kalev, you have a very good skill in C/C++, programming system, but the more important you are the zeal professor. Thank you a lot.

Qt is a Linux oriented GUI framework written in C++. If you're using Windows, you probably won't use it.
    As for MFC: it takes more than a reply on a newgroup to learn how to use it. Other than learning the framework's classes, functions, Windows API and so on, you will have to learn how the whole machinery operates undre the hood, starting with the basic concept of threads, events, callbacks and then to more application specific topics such as the difference between a dialog and a checkbox, a scroll list vs. radio buttons and so on.
    The best way to start is by getting a good MFC book, Petzold's bok for instance, and of course Visual C++. If you can't afford to purchase a book, you can find many good online tutorials about MFC. Additionally, many online bookstores offer second hand books or older editions of the same book at a low price. Since MFC hasn't changed much in the past 5 years or so (they always it's about to die, but that doesn't going to happen so fast...) an old MFC book is as good as a new one.
    Danny Kalev

I thought that Charles Petzold only wrote a Windows API book, not MFC?!

yeah, you're right. I ment the book by Jeff Prosise (ISBN: 1556159021). I saw it on Amazon.uk offered at 2.08 GBP, quite a bragain!
    Danny Kalev

Yes, that's cool!