Problem granting read FilePermission to an applet

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem granting read FilePermission to an applet

Hybrid View

Problem granting read FilePermission to an applet

I'm having problems trying to give read FilePermission to an applet under jre version 1.4.2_08 on a Win98 system. I had previously been using jre version 1.3.1 and had no problems using the applet to read files. I had setup the .java.policy file using policytool. When I installed jre 1.4.2_08 the applet no longer works. It gets access denied FilePermission ... read errors:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.io.FilePermission E:\Miscellaneous\SailJazz read)
    at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkRead(Unknown Source)
    at java.io.File.exists(Unknown Source)
    at NormsDev.SearchFiles.SearchFiles.searchForMatches(SearchFiles.java)
    at NormsDev.SearchFiles.SearchFiles.doSearch(SearchFiles.java)
    at SearchApplet$1.run(SearchApplet.java)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

For testing I have two browsers: NS 7.02 and IE 6.0. I have left NS using jre 1.3.1 plugin for its applets. It continues to work fine. When I configure IE to use jre 1.3.1 it works. When I change IE to use 1.4.2 it gets the access denied. FilePermission ... read error.

The CodeBase is set to a folder above where the jar file resides: file:/E:/Miscellaneous/-
    I have several jar files within subfolders that use that same CodeBase hence the ending -
    The target is set to the folder above the subfolders that the applet is to read: E:/Miscellaneous/SailJazz
    I have other targets with an ending / that also don't work.

Have there been changes to the policy file contents or usage between 1.3.1 and 1.4.2?

How does one find the problem? My prior experiences trouble shooting has been the shotgun approach: keep trying all possible combinations until it works. Surely there is a better way. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Norm

Applets are not allowed to read client files (and that is good). You must store the
    files on the same server as the applet and upload them using a http connection.
    eschew obfuscation

Please read the question!

thanks for the response.

My applet works fine using the jre version 1.3.1. It is a local application that does NOT involve a host. The applet read files from my harddrive.

When I installed jre version 1.4.2 I get the FilePermission read error.

My question(again) is: What's changed with jre version 1.4.2 that an applet that works with 1.3.1 does NOT work with 1.4.2??? How do I get my applet to work with 1.4.2???

Thanks,
    Norm

If you have not changed the "sandbox" your policy should work.

Did your set-up work with any of the 1.4 versions?

Have you tried any other release build of 1.4.2?

Is there a reason you have not yet installed 1.5.0_x?

There have been some problems in some areas with different releases of the JDK which were corrected in later releases. I don't know if policies were affected by any of these problems.

I dont know all the details but the security management has changed since then.

If you use it as a local application you are just using the Panel/JPanel capabilities of the applet.
    Why don't you use a Panel/JPanel extension
    instead, just change the "extends JApplet" to "extends JPanel".
    eschew obfuscation

I have tried other versions of 1.4 but had problems with them (they'd hang my system) so I uninstalled them. I'm on Windows 98. Version 1.3 has all the features I need.
    My applet does NOT use any Jxxx classes. It was written long ago with Applet and Frame. The GUI is not the important part of the applet. Its purpose is to search thru files (can be thousands) for requested matches and to display the results in the browser.

I suppose that version 1.3 was too loose and that the security has been tightened in later versions.
    Any ideas on what I need to change to get my applet to work in version 1.4 as well as in 1.3???

Thanks,
    Norm

An Applet that uses no applet features can be replaced by a Panel extension stuffed
    into a Frame (still: just change the "extends Applet" to "extends Panel").
    You could then save the search results in a formattet html file and start
    up the browser (using a Runtime object in a thread) and supply the output file path as
    a parameter.

But:
    For your application I cannot see any need for using applet (or browser for that matter).
    eschew obfuscation

Description of application

I didn't explain the application as I don't think its relevant to the problem.

I don't see how using a Panel or any other GUI can affect Security. Could you please explain the relationship?

Remember the Applet works with 1.3. What has changed and what do I need to change to get it work with 1.4?

But since you want to change my design, I'll explain it a bit.
    I have download several web sites consisting of hundreds to thousands of html pages that are linked as if on the web. I use the browser to format, display and navigate the pages. From within the browser, I want to be able to search the files without having to exit the browser and I want to get the search results back into the browser just as if the pages were online. There are communications between the html page with the Applet and the Applet using Javascript.

An example might be the Java Tutorial which can be downloaded in a zip file and unzipped to files on your harddrive. I rewrite the search page to use my applet and am able to search all the pages of the tutorial for ...

Keep the logics, change GUI strategy

I have no intent on changing your logical design, what I suggested was that you
    could change it into an application, that is, make it a Panel extension instead
    of an Applet extension, Applet is a Panel descendant with web capabilities,
    if you dont utilize any of those, and you just want to download pages from
    web, you could just as well make it into a Panel and supply it with a main
    method where you wrap the Panel (previously known as Applet) in a Frame.

I don't know the specifics of the security upgrades that has been done
    after the java version you use became an oldie....

But, since you have explained your task now, I think maybe the little
    application I have attatched here can be useful. You should at least check it
    out. It is an app that performs multiple simultaneous downloads of web site content.
    The SiteConn class contained here can easily be modified to perform
    bytestream download for zip file retrieval.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sjalle; 08-02-2005 at 03:33 AM.
    eschew obfuscation

More explanation

thanks again for the response.
    Let me explain a little more. I have a large number of html pages on my harddrive that I use the browser to read. For example the Java Tutorial download from sun. There is a search page somewhere within those pages that I have tailored to do a local search on the pages on harddrive vs on the web.
    I have a very slow internet connection and/or want to search the files without going online. So I've changed the html search form to use an applet to call a search routine. The bounds of the applet are 1x1 ie it doesn't appear on the search page. The applet is called via JavaScript and it in turn calls the search routine. All the args for the search are from an HTML Form and are passed to the applet by Javascript. There is no GUI for the applet. I only use the AppletContext to communicate between the HTML page in the browser and my code which is an applet.

I want to be able to do searches while in the browser looking at the files for a particular topic. I didn't want to have to start a new, separate application to do a search, search for the folders to be searched and start a new browser invocation with the results of the search.

Norm

I fold

Well, then I see no other possible solution than:

1: resinstall the 1.3 java
    2: try to hack the security management on 1.4 java if you can locate the source
    3: Read the files using javascript/LiveConnect and feed the data back into
    the applet (far out solution).

Others may have better solutions, but for the time being I must say that
    I doubt it; The strategy you have chosen is not exactly the right way to go
    about this....
    Last edited by sjalle; 08-02-2005 at 01:25 PM.
    eschew obfuscation

I meant reinstall 1.3.1 of course.

In my opinion you are "barking up the wrong tree". You spend day after day trying
    to make something work, and that something is in conflict with the fundamentals
    of the programming language you use.

Have you considered installing tomcat and set your localholst up with a servlet for
    doing the file retrieval ? I think that would be much cleaner and faster to implement
    than the things you are struggling with.
    eschew obfuscation

Back to basics

thanks again.

Actually I have my search program working in 4 different configurations:
    1) Standalone appllication
    2) In an applet (this one has the problem with jre 1.4.2
    3) As a servlet
    4) As a part of a special server that lives in a jar file with the files to be executed.
    These are all working except for the problem with 1.4.2

Now the basics:
    You can restrict/give permission to Java programs many ways. One of them is FilePermissions. It is possible to give permission to an applet to read from a harddrive by giving it permission. That permission is given by using the policytool to create an entry in the .java.policy file. I have done all that for jre version 1.3.1. Unless Sun has drastically redesigned Java to no longer use the policy file for applets, its a question of the correct syntax.

Is your position that it is NOT possible to give an applet FilePermission?

I spent all day trying to make a simple program that would fail like my larger program does. I was not successful. However, I was SUCCESSFUL in having this simple applet read files from my disk using jre 1.4.2!! So I know it is possible. Now I need to find what it is in my larger applet that is the problem. Is uses Netscape classes for the Javascript interface. Tomorrow I look at those.

Norm

It is NOT my position that it is impossible to give an applet FilePermissions. My
    position is that the applet is intended for the web and whatever permissions you grant
    it by whatever means is something that the client machines out there completely ignores.
    It might be useful on an intranet, but then again, I would have set it up as
    an application.

As you may have noticed I have never written any code for tweaking the
    security management for applets. I would never dear to spend days on such a
    problem if I was doing professional project work, I would have changed my strategy.
    But you are doing this as a private investigation, and no matter if you succeed or
    not, such probings can be very educational.

My only point was that (according to your description of your stategy) it looked to me
    like you were "crossing the river to get some water". Judging by the problems you are
    having it is obvious that Sun has "drastically redesigned Java to no longer use the policy file
    for applets", and that these changes are not only syntactical.

Please come back and tell us how you did it if you fix it.

So, in short, all I can say is good luck !
    eschew obfuscation

Solution for simple applet

Sorry, I forgot to post my working code. I'll attach it to this message. The zip file is a jar file renamed by adding .zip to its filename.

For the example, I have the class files in D:\Testing\ReadFile\
    and the files to be read in E:\Testing\

The policy file was setup to allow files in D:\Testing\ and subfolders to read files from E:\Testing\ and subfolders.

The java.policy samples are in the program's source file as comments at the end.

I don't believe that Sun has changed the basic Permission granting logic. There is something about my program that Sun is NOT allowing in version 1.4.2 that it did allow in 1.3.1. I need to find that and fix it.
    There is nothing wrong with my design. Your solution requires too many separate environments/programs as a solution. If you are using a browser to read HTML pages on your disk (for example the Java Tutorial) and you want to search the tutorial files for something, why exit the browser, find another tool, start the tool, find the folders for the tutorial and THEN be able to issue the search command. I prefer to issue the search command immediately from the browser while I'm looking at the files.

The AppletContext is a way for Java programs to communicate with a browser. I don't think it has to be only on the internet. Local use is fine. I think most computer users are used to using a browser, so putting an application in a browser environment seems to me an easy way to present an interface to a lot of none programming users.

Norm
    Attached Files Attached Files