Download .mdb File

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Download .mdb File

Download .mdb File

Hello. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use java to download an .mdb file? What I'm trying to do specifically is automate a very tedious routine that includes downloading an Access database from my company's web host, making some modifications and then uploading the database back to where I got it. I need help with the uploading and downloading part. If it's possible, can anyone give me some pointers or point me in the right direction? Thank you.

First is the contents of the file important to the up/down load process? IE could the same code be used for any binary file such as a jpg? In other words, you need generic code to up/download a file from a server.
    What protocol does the server provide? FTP is often used for this kind of application.
    HTTP GET can be used for the download. You might need special code on the server to do the upload like a servlet that can receive the file and write it to disk.

You certainly can do what you need to do in Java - given adequate rights to get to the file on the server.

You can get FTP access to the file for downloading and uploading ...

You can write an Applet served up by your web server which includes the file in its sandbox which gives you access to the file ...

You can create a JSP/Web service which connects to the .mdb file through a JDBC connection - you could actually do your update without downloading and uploading the file ...

To nspils,
    You said:

Quote Originally Posted by nspils
    You can write an Applet served up by your web server which includes the file in its sandbox which gives you access to the file ...
    Not sure how you "include the file in its sandbox". Do you mean that the applet can do an HTTP GET while being executed in the client's browser to read the file from the server? Or do you mean that after doing the GET, the applet could write the file to the client's local disk. This would require giving the applet write FilePermission on the client.
    Or are there other ways?
    Thanks,
    Norm

Norm -

You are correct in being concerned about the limited rights that an applet has on the client machine.

My thought in suggesting an Applet included the setting of a policy to allow the applet to access the client's hard drive to read/write this particular file.