Hi

I have only just noticed that my mnemonic keys do not work as soon as the applet is started. It appears that I have to click on one of the buttons with the mouse and then once this happens the mnemonic keys start working.

Can anyone help?

some of my code for one button is below:

Code:
public class BinaryTreeDisplay extends JApplet implements ActionListener, WindowListener, AdjustmentListener {

// Start Search button
		   startButton = new javax.swing.JButton();
		   startButton.addActionListener(this);
		   startButton.setBackground(buttonColour);
	       startButton.setFont(new java.awt.Font("MS Sans Serif", 1, 16));
	       startButton.setForeground(buttonFontColour);
	       startButton.setMnemonic(KeyEvent.VK_S);
	       startButton.setToolTipText("Start search");
           startButton.setBorder(new javax.swing.border.SoftBevelBorder(javax.swing.border.BevelBorder.RAISED));
	       startButton.setText("START SEARCH");
	       startButton.setPreferredSize(new java.awt.Dimension(157, 25));
	       gamePanel.add(startButton);

public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
        if (e.getSource() == startButton){    // START SEARCH/NEW SEARCH BUTTON is clicked
		    btd.generateTree(); // call generateTree method from BinaryTreeAction to setup tree ready for paint
		    notFoundButton.setEnabled(true);
		    foundButton.setEnabled(true);
		        if (btd.torch.getLeft() != null)   // if there is a left node 
		            downLeft.setEnabled(true);      // then enable to the move down left button
		else if (btd.torch.getLeft() == null)   // if there is no left node
		    downLeft.setEnabled(false);  // then disable the move down left button
		        if (btd.torch.getRight() != null) // if there is a right node
		    	    downRight.setEnabled(true);   // then enable the move down right button
		else if (btd.torch.getRight() == null) // if there is not a right node
		    downRight.setEnabled(false);  // then disable the move down right button	  
		    viewAllButton.setEnabled(true);
		    updateImage(); // display Binary Search Display onto buffered image
		    questionTextPanel.setText("Is node " + btd.question + (" in the tree?")); // update the question field with which node to search for
		    startButton.setText("NEW SEARCH"); // change label of button to new search
	        startButton.setToolTipText("New search"); // change mouse hover tool tip
	        btd.resetVariables(); // call method to reset variables for new search 
		    repaint();
Can anyone help me with this?

I have read before about focus, is it that I need to pass focus to something? how would I do this?

thanks very much