Can't find the error

DevX Home    Today's Headlines   Articles Archive   Tip Bank   Forums   

Thread: Can't find the error

Can't find the error

I cannot run one of web applications.The error giving on the browser
    is
    jrunx.compiler.DefaultCFE: Compiler errors:C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:453: illegal start of expression
    public String getDescr(String Description)
    ^
    C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:2449: illegal start of expression
    public ArrayList getStatVec(java.sql.Connection conn, int participateid, int planid, String[] bankids, String[] questids)
    ^
    C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:4726: ';' expected
    String getBannerId(java.sql.Connection conn, String CodPlace, String sType, String sId, String sLink)
    ^
    C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:7361: illegal start of expression
    ^
    C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:8373: illegal start of expression
    public ArrayList removeDubl(ArrayList inVec, int colNum)
    ^
    C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:9904: illegal start of expression
    public ArrayList getStatVec(java.sql.Connection conn, int participateid, int planid, String[] bankids, String[] questids)
    ^
    C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:11260: ';' expected
    ^
    C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:82: 'try' without 'catch' or 'finally'
    try
    ^
    C:\Web\JRun4\servers\gctest\default-ear\default-war\WEB-INF\jsp\jrun__survey__sands__htmlPrint2ejsp1b.java:11286: '}' expected
    }
    ^
    9 errors
    But I have looked at these methods an could not find any problems.
    The most interesting is that some of those methods are used by other applications and work pretty well.

I didnot write the code (that programmer doesnot work anymore).
    and I am new employee also new to Java
    Last edited by Individual; 09-21-2005 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Individual
    I didnot write the code (that programmer doesnot work anymore).
    and I am new employee also new to Java
    There are a lot of lines where you (or your former colleage) forgot to end his/her lines with "';". This meistake can cause both the "';' expected" and the "illegal start of expression" compiler errors. The compiler tells you exactly where these things are forgotten. If you're new to Java then get a good book on it and/or read some tutorials to get familiarised with the language.

Good luck.

Actually i became a lot familiar, since working for 2 months

the method is written without errors I can give the source
    {

if (Description != null)
    {
    while (Description.indexOf('\n') != -1)
    {
    Description = Description.substring(0,Description.indexOf('\n')) + Description.substring(Description.indexOf('\n')+1,Description.length());
    }

while (Description.indexOf('\r') != -1)
    {
    Description = Description.substring(0,Description.indexOf('\r')) + Description.substring(Description.indexOf('\r')+1,Description.length());
    }

while (Description.indexOf("<") != -1)
    {
    if (Description.indexOf(">") != -1)
    Description = Description.substring(0,Description.indexOf("<")) + Description.substring(Description.indexOf(">")+1,Description.length());
    else
    {
    Description = Description.substring(0,Description.indexOf("<")) + "&lt;" + Description.substring(Description.indexOf("<")+1,Description.length());
    }
    }

while (Description.indexOf(">") != -1)
    {
    Description = Description.substring(0,Description.indexOf(">")) + "&gt;" + Description.substring(Description.indexOf(">")+1,Description.length());
    }

return Description;
    }
    else
    return "";

}
    Also the method is located in JSP filev which is requested I don't where yet!

Actually i became a lot familiar, since working for 2 months

the method is written without errors I can give the source

Also the method is located in JSP filev which is requested I don't where yet!
    Ok, that method looks ok, but the compiler is complaining about some other code. Not the code you just posted.

Tokenizer makes me..

I have solved that problem, now another error

jrun.jsp.parser.TokenMgrError: (9,5) Unable to scan the character '/' which follows ''

what does that mean? is '/' character given to be tokenized?

for example the symols '\' and '|' are in one button(with shift)
    so is it possible that someone mistyped in the database and the tokenizer is getting stupid when retrieving data from the daytabase?

I have solved that problem, now another error

jrun.jsp.parser.TokenMgrError: (9,5) Unable to scan the character '/' which follows ''

what does that mean? is '/' character given to be tokenized?

for example the symols '\' and '|' are in one button(with shift)
    so is it possible that someone mistyped in the database and the tokenizer is getting stupid when retrieving data from the daytabase?
    I never used jrun.jsp.parser, but it sounds quite straight forward: it can't scan / if " is followed. This happens at line 9, column 5 (I think).
    Maybe this link is helpfull to you: http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldf...FML/Debug7.htm

Good luck.